Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
ivanatpr
ivanatpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Kindle 3: Highlight and lookup the definitions for words not in dictionary?

Is there a way to quickly search google or wikipedia for the word under the cursor? If its in the dictionary, I can open up the dictionary entry and then easily go from there to a wikipedia search for that word. However, for words without a dictionary entry (exactly the ones I'd want to wikipedia), I can't find a way to do this, short of typing out the word and manually doing the search, which strikes me as a less than ideal solution. Just pointing the cursor at a word that's not in the dictionary doesn't do anything.
ivanatpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Google search on a highlighted word or phrase would be a great feature.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanatpr View Post
Is there a way to quickly search google or wikipedia for the word under the cursor? If its in the dictionary, I can open up the dictionary entry and then easily go from there to a wikipedia search for that word. However, for words without a dictionary entry (exactly the ones I'd want to wikipedia), I can't find a way to do this, short of typing out the word and manually doing the search, which strikes me as a less than ideal solution. Just pointing the cursor at a word that's not in the dictionary doesn't do anything.
Per the Kindle Keyboard Shortcuts site (see link in my sig), this should work for you.

Quote:
Searching

* To copy text from a book to the search box (eg to search for a character’s name):
o Use the 5-way to cursor down to the beginning of the text you want to copy
o Click the 5-way to mark the beginning
o Use the 5-way to move right, selecting the word(s) you want to search for
o Instead of clicking again as you would to save a highlight, press SPACEBAR
o The selected words are now in the search box. Move the cursor down or right, delete any extraneous characters, then move down and right to highlight ‘Find’. Click to search.
In your case you would just just select Google or Wikipedia. I just tried it and it worked for Google.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
ivanatpr

You, sir, are a scholar and a saint. Works perfectly, thank you.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You, sir, are a scholar and a saint. Works perfectly, thank you.
I'm also a woman.
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's a neat trick! Thanks.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
ivanatpr

C'mon now, being a woman is hardly a trick.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Actually, it takes great skill. Not everyone can do it.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
*spews diet coke all over keyboard*
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
ayeizajedi
ayeizajedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'd just like to say thank you for this tip as i've been wondering how to perform this all day
ayeizajedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Ya beat me to it.

ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeizajedi View Post
I'd just like to say thank you for this tip as i've been wondering how to perform this all day
Welcome to MobileRead, ayeizajedi

Feel free to use the link below to introduce yourself properly, and meet new friends....let us welcome you!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Per the Kindle Keyboard Shortcuts site (see link in my sig), this should work for you.

In your case you would just just select Google or Wikipedia. I just tried it and it worked for Google.
great work...for a girl, I mean....hehehehehe....

::::::::::::::::::::rrrrruuuunnnnnsssss.....away:: :::::::::::::::::
Is it safe to peek back in?
FYI, see what happened last time I made such a comment to a buddy of mine who is a Photoshop goddess:

Personally, I look at least as good as Dolly Parton or Minnie Pearl...hehehehe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

Don't you just feel smarter now that you're a girl?