Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess I have been miss-informed

Let me first start off saying that I have an alurtek and have no interest in a higher priced reader, but I do have a question that I think that I have been miss-informed about. I though that all ebook readers could only get books from one source, the company that sells the reader. I thought that the books that you buy for your Kindle had to come from Amazon due to encryption of the books. Am I wrong? Attached is a photo of an Alurtek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluratek-Libre-Pro-179-release-2010.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	59850  
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
You were misinformed. The Kindle can read DRM free mobi formatted books from anywhere. For that matter, if the book is DRM free, you can convert it form another format to mobi in calibre or other programs.

Other readers are pretty much the same, they read one DRMed format, but will accept books in that format that are DRM free.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
There are plenty of places where you can buy books, and also where you can obtain books completely for free. Even make your own books and load it up to your reader.
I have recently got my Kindle 3 and only 11 out of 57 books on my reader are bought off of Amazon. Some are bought at Smashwords, some are down/sideloaded free and then some are formatted/converted by myself and sideloaded to the Kindle 3.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Books you buy from the Kindle Store on Amazon, only work on Kindle (whether this is the Kindle device, or the various Kindle applications.)

However, you can purcahse books from other vendors (fictionwise, etc.) in Mobipocket format and read them on the device - you just have to load them using USB. (Note that it's only Mobipocket non-DRM books that you can read.)

Alternatively, the software Calibre can convert a wide range of (non-DRM) ebooks into the format the Kindle uses.

I have a mix of bought-from-Amazon ebooks , and books I've bought from other sources (and free ones from places like feedbooks). The only difference is, that I have to load 'em by USB, and the ones that aren't from Amazon aren't available for me to 'pull down from the cloud' .
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindles use mobi format. Amazon's .azw if a form of mobi. Content my be purchased from any source that sells DRM-free mobi books. DRM-free ePub books may also be purchased and converted to mobi very easily with Calibre.

One may also purchase DRM versions of mobi and ePub books and remove the DRM for use on the Kindle (may or may not be illegal depending on where you live).

If you look around the forums, you may notice people with other readers purchasing books from Amazon, removing the DRM and converting to ePub for their use.

With the number of books available at Amazon, there is rarely need to shop elsewhere. And when Agency Pricing is not involved Amazon likes to charge lower prices.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Let me first start off saying that I have an alurtek and have no interest in a higher priced reader, but I do have a question that I think that I have been miss-informed about. I though that all ebook readers could only get books from one source, the company that sells the reader.
Heavens, no. Most companies that sell eBook readers don't sell books at all!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by reech View Post
However, you can purcahse books from other vendors (fictionwise, etc.) in Mobipocket format and read them on the device - you just have to load them using USB. (Note that it's only Mobipocket non-DRM books that you can read.)
Even better, with the Kindle you can email yourself the DRM-free books, and with the WiFi in the K3 no need for the USB cord!
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You can also walk the darkside and buy books from any source and remove the DRM and put it on any reader.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
You can also ... remove the DRM and ..
but note - that's MUCH harder than ripping from CD / DVD. There's no user friendly shareware that will do all the geeky stuff for you, AFAIK
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
but note - that's MUCH harder than ripping from CD / DVD. There's no user friendly shareware that will do all the geeky stuff for you, AFAIK
Oh, but there will be soon.
See, it took only like 3 or so months before the "copy proof" Blu-Ray "protection" was cracked and with the right software it's just to shove in the disk and wait for abt one hour and "violà".

(Yes, I do strip DRM/Copy protection, legally (in Norway), on my purchased software when I find it necessary, such as if I want to listen to music or watch movies over my inhouse network. And yes, I will do the same with books when I find it necessary).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Along with reading PDF files on Kindle you can also convert MS Word documents to read on your Kindle.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ok, so you HAVE been misinformed and are now rightly informed. what are you going to do with your new found knowledge?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I don't think it's harder. It's just running a script.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I don't think it's harder. It's just running a script.
Hmm - I know we are not really meant to discuss it here but the instructions I have seen seem to require downloading various python programming tools + knowing how to use them + also maybe having to extract IDs from reader hardware.

Compare that with say CLONE DVD or DVDfab which are really simple tools - just try & buy, then it's pretty much a 1 click operation to rip or burn a movie.

we have 2 readers in the house - Sony & Kindle - I'd like a simple way to be able to convert & read stuff bought for 1 device, on the other device.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think you need to google around and look at the tools again. They have advanced to the stage of a GUI tool and a Calibre plug-in. It really isn't that complicated to convert either an azw or an epub file.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote