Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
CChamp
CChamp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Button Clicking

Hi all, I just got my Kindle last week and pretty much out of the box the right side forward page change button has a very definite "Click". It clicks as you push it down and again when you release it. I read that the quietness of the buttons were a major upgrade over the previous models. When things are quite and you are engrossed in your favorite book, it is really annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or should I go through the hassle of exchanging it? Thank you very much in advance. CC
CChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you know anyone else with a Kindle that you could compare it to and see if yours is louder? Mine makes an audible "click", but certainly not loud enough that I'd notice it unless I were to specifically listen out for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
CChamp

My wife also has a new Kindle and you can definitely tell the difference. The other three buttons (Page forward and back on left side and page back on right side) are very quite, it's just the forward button on the right side. Not an earth shattering problem but just annoying.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it any louder than the rustle of paper when you turn the page of a paper book? I'm just trying to put this into perspective on a "scale of annoyance".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
CChamp

Thanks for the replies HarryT. It's probably not as bad as a paper page turn. Just not as I think it should be. Probably just my perfectionist nature showing through.
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CChamp View Post
Hi all, I just got my Kindle last week and pretty much out of the box the right side forward page change button has a very definite "Click". It clicks as you push it down and again when you release it. I read that the quietness of the buttons were a major upgrade over the previous models. When things are quite and you are engrossed in your favorite book, it is really annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or should I go through the hassle of exchanging it? Thank you very much in advance. CC
If only the "right side forward page change button" has an audible click, while all of the other buttons are silent, I would say return the Kindle because perhaps that button is catching on something or not installed correctly.

Hmmmm. All of my page turn buttons make an audible click, but it doesn't bother me - it is very subtle, IMHO. Of course, I like "clicky" computer keyboards because of the feel to the button pushes - I need that sensory response I guess. The Kindle is certainly much quieter than that so it is not a distraction to me.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
The larger buttons have a metal bar that balances it out (like a keyboard shift key) I think, maybe it's bent/not working properly. Does it work no matter where you apply pressure to the key?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
I also have clicky button on right side.

I have realized that if I hold it by fingers from both sides and slowly press it, it is noiseless.

So with a small practice, the turning of pages is silent.. (and my wife is happy)
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote