View Full Version : Maylong M-150 Tablet at Walgreens

Fernie
10-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Just saw the next week's Walgreens ad with this device: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/maylong-m-150-universe-tablet-pc-powered-by-android/ID=prod6047418-product

FEATURES

•Google Android™
•LCD color touch-screen 7-inches
•Full Internet browsing capability
•Experience YouTube at your fingertips
•Easy access to emails
•Download and play games
•Includes digital music, video player and digital picture viewer
•Digital picture frame
•e-Book reader
•Download and install custom Google Android™ Applications
•Easy-to-understand user's manual

Sounds interesting for the price, if it really has access to Android Market.

richardf
10-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Specs are at Mylong.com, android 1.6, 125 ram, SD slot, restive screen. Cannot be as bad as Augen Gentouch and cheaper. I ordered one. 30 day return policy, maybe to store.

marinjim
10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Here is a link to the Maylong site http://www.maylonggroup.com/M-150_MID.htm

Dave_S
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
if it really has access to Android Market.

Where did you see it qualifies for Android Market? The advertised specifications specifications do not appear to qualify it for Market access. The Maylong site indicates it has an application to access an alternative Market site from AppBrain.

Fernie
10-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Where did you see it qualifies for Android Market? The advertised specifications specifications do not appear to qualify it for Market access. The Maylong site indicates it has an application to access an alternative Market site from AppBrain.

Sorry, my bad. I thought custom application access meant that it allowed buying apps from the Market.

richardf
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I got a shipping conformation today, 10-18-2010, from Walgreens for the M-150.

Jakie
10-19-2010, 06:28 AM
it seems to be a basic generic flytouch adroid pad. They work fine, but don't expect it to replace the faster processors, or the graphic co processor android pads. It should work fine as an ebook reader. Mine does

RainmanP
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I couldn't stand it so I took the plunge. If you decide to order be sure to get the coupon code for $5 off $30 or more. I also selected expedited shipping for a buck more. I really would like something like the coming Archos 70 running Android 2.2. For 100 bucks I will give this a try and either give it to my daughter or return it if it is too bad.
Raymond

tipstir
10-20-2010, 03:59 AM
If you got VM8505+ 400MHz CPU and 256MB of RAM then you can use one of the latest generic ROMs for it. Don't be fool these these devices can move if you tweak it and root it just right.

richardf
10-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Here it is Tuesday morning and still waiting for it. TIPSTIR sounds like my new best friend for tweaking.

RainmanP
10-20-2010, 08:27 PM
It is Wednesday evening. Has anyone received an actual tracking number from UPS, FEDEX, USPS?

Jakie
10-21-2010, 03:07 AM
TIPSTER is well regarded in the android tablet circles! Slateroid, for example, has amazing rom upgrades for this type of device.

richardf
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I just received my Maylong M-150 at 3 p. m. I'm charging it now.

richardf
10-21-2010, 04:16 PM
received

marinjim
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I just received my Maylong M-150 at 3 p. m. I'm charging it now.

Richard, exciting! How long will it take for the initial charge?

Very interested in what you have to say especially about the responsiveness of the resistive screen. Also can the stylus be stored in the unit? Is the manual decent or poorly translated?

Keep us posted if you employ any of Tipstir's advice.

richardf
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Charged M-150 up. Metal back, Android 2.18 it says? fast, hooked to web, good apps. takes a microsd, 2 dongles with cat 5 and usb connectors and it has a camera! took from Sarueday to today. Very impressed so far.

richardf
10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Manual ok but skimpy. Didn't say a thing about a camera. I just noticed the app. Screen responsive and comes with a stylus but cannot be stored in the device. Charge 1 hr. I have found no problems and well worth $100.

soondai
10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Can machines like this read book-length PDFs in landscape?

richardf
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
M-150 has a manual screen orentation.

soondai
10-21-2010, 11:27 PM
could it handle a large PDF (10-15 MB?)
and can you zoom, etc?

richardf
10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Screen orentation can be set either manual or automatic.

richardf
10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
A little more info on the Maylong M-150. Not a metal back, plastic, my mistake. Neat apps, one called Magic Screen has local time,weather clock and other stuff and can be modified to any city and digital or analog clock. Complete info on folders, wi-fi set up, email set up. Screen adequate. A lot to learn on mail acounts and attaching keyboards and mice. The usb is an add on, not on the tablet. Boots fast. Camera is not Pentax but ok.

tipstir
10-22-2010, 10:17 PM
This a Gome Flytouch ePad there are also generic version of this also. I have ePad I had ordered from China. I decided to grab the M-150 tonight and use the GET5 code to get $5 off the price at $99. Still got hit with $6 for tax and $4.99 shipping. The sale ends on 10/23/10. There is youtube video made by husband and wife team. Pretty good video just unboxing it that's about it. Again this does not have a matted finish it has extra clear glossy plastic layer to give you the ultra-bite look. I have some samples of mine taken with the internal still cam capture feature.

Sample #1 (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs810.snc4/69057_449240942948_579882948_5488181_6176779_n.jpg )

soondai
10-22-2010, 11:34 PM
tipstir--- can a machine like this load and scroll through large PDF files smoothly?
I have some ebooks that are basically scans that don't work on my Sony ereader very well at all. I'd love to know if this might work.

And would relatively small font be clearly readable?

tipstir
10-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Well you see can't use Adobe PDF Reader for Android on it because of the OS version. But you can use Doc to go full. Yes to your question. I would root it to get the full speed of the CPU. Unlike the PDN White/Black one this one has the sharpest text doesn't suffer from white wash like the PDN Color White and Color Black does.

JBPK33
10-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you sure about android 2.18? Their customer service rep advised it was 1.6.

soondai
10-23-2010, 05:24 PM
thanks for the info, tipstir

richardf
10-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Attached a wireless Microsoft mouse with the dongle and it works like a champ. Beats both stylus and finger but junks up portability. I have yet to run the battery out. Longer than 3 hours.

tipstir
10-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Android OS v1.6 Build 2.18 is the build. HSN had the Coby 7" over the weekend. I jumped on that one even though Maylong is coming. Once you order online with Walgreen's they won't let you cancel the order. You have to get the item and take it back to a Walgreen's store you can't sent it back to them. I'll do a test on both when they get here. On my site you can see my tablet reviews.. Look here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/) or Check out my Blog Reviews (http://tipstir.blogspot.com/)

richardf
10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Tipstir- What is the cost on the Coby? Similar features? The test on both will be interesting.

TallMomof2
10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
You can install the Kindle Android app on 1.6 and higher so for $110 (tax and shipping) I'll try this out.

Of course without access to the Android Market it might take a little extra work.

Dave_S
10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Of course without access to the Android Market it might take a little extra work.

According to your profile you have a Droid, so just install it on that and make a backup of it with something like the Astro file manager. Then just copy the backup APK to the M-150 and install it there.

TallMomof2
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
According to your profile you have a Droid, so just install it on that and make a backup of it with something like the Astro file manager. Then just copy the backup APK to the M-150 and install it there.

That's what I mean by a little extra work. ;)

Dave_S
10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
That's what I mean by a little extra work. ;)

OK, gottcha. :) It really is very little extra work though. ;)

RainmanP
10-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Here are some first thoughts after having explored the Maylong M-150 for a couple of hours. I have tried to focus on less obvious things that puzzled me for a while even though I have been using Android on my Archos 5 Internet Tablet for a few months now. Users new to Android might be completely lost. The manual leaves a LOT to be desired. I hope some of you find this information useful.

Charging LED went off at about an hour, and I was able to use the device for close to two hours.

I have not been able to get online yet. The only wifi hotspot near my office constantly has router or modem issues, and I did not ask them to reboot. Others have reported that wifi works fine. I plan to try it out tomorrow.

Camera and Camcorder icons do not appear on the home screen initially. Press the Menu button then Add>Shortcuts>Applications. Scroll down to each icon and tap to add.

You might also want to add a shortcut for PK Manager with is an app manager.

Most other pre-loaded app icons already appear on screens.

Camera picture quality not that great. Have not tried video. Tried changing image storage location to SD card but photos don't seem to save. With storage location set to Local disk, images save under DCIM>Camera as expected.

Pressing the eye icon at the top of the screen captures a screen shot of whatever screen you are on at the time. It does not take a picture with the camera.

Devices tried with the USB dongle both directly and through a powered USB hub:
1. USB Keyboard works. I only tried typing a few characters. Here is something kind of cool. Under Settings>Applications>Quick Launch are keyboard shortcuts to open some apps using F1-F12 keys! So to open the browser you can just press F1. When you are in this settings area you can tap an app associated with one F key then select a different app to activate with that key.

2. USB Mouse works, but orientation is reversed. In other words, moving mouse vertically ("up" and "down") moves pointer horizontally (left/right). I haven't figured out whether this can be changed.

3. USB flash drive worked fine. All pre-existing files accessible.

4. Have not tried a portable hard drive, but I suspect the device may not have enough power for this.

Screen changes, auto-rotate, page turns on ebooks are a bit sluggish, but not too bad for a $99 device. My Archos 5 Internet Tablet is much faster but I paid 2.5 times as much for it.

The screen seems very responsive considering I have not taken any of the plastic protectors off. I am used to the resistive screen since that is what the A5IT has. If you have an iPhone don't expect for a resistive screen to be nearly as responsive.

I tried an mp4 video that plays fine on my A5IT. I don't remember the exact video properties, but they are probably low to medium. One hour video about just over 350mb. Resolution probably 320x240. I probably used a default iPod selection for transcoading. Video plays VERY slowly and lags way behind audio which plays fine for a while then starts to stutter.

In case you are not familiar with it the Aldiko ebook reader is really good one. I actually prefer it to Kindle. I have both on my A5IT. I wind up using Kindle because my wife and daughters all have either actual Kindles or the iPhone app so we can all share books.

The devise startled me initially with a vibration as it turned on. Turns out you can set key press confirmations to either a sound or vibration if you like. I have mine off. You always have the color change confirmation.

Device "geography" (device held horizontally with the big button to the right):
Left edge - Power button
Top edge left - Menu Button, Volume rocker
Right edge, top to bottom - Speaker, micro SD slot, USB/Ethernet dongle jack, headphone jack, power jack, another speaker.

I have had no problem with display calibration at all.

Things I either have not tried or have not figured out yet:
1. USB mouse orientation issue
2. Where is Sound Recorder? May have to get an app for that. Came loaded on my A5IT. It thought it was standard part of Android.
3. Powered USB hard drive and USB powered hard drive through powered USB hub. Hope to try tomorrow.
4. Having Camera images save to SD card. Can select this, but does not seem to save image.

Question - What is a good backup app that will allow me to copy the apks for free apps I already have?

I will post new observations as I get more time to play with it.

Dave_S
10-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Question - What is a good backup app that will allow me to copy the apks for free apps I already have?

The Astro file manager will do what you describe. Here is one place to find it.
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/astro-file-manager

RainmanP
10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
The Astro file manager will do what you describe. Here is one place to find it.
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/astro-file-manager

Thanks! I will give it a try.

how0425
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks! I will give it a try.
thanks for sharing, RainmanP. Is the memory slot a SD or Micro SD?

RainmanP
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks for sharing, RainmanP. Is the memory slot a SD or Micro SD?

Micro SD. I am using an 8GB card.

RainmanP
10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Here's a second installment on my experiences with my Maylong M-150.

Today I tried a portable hard drive attached directly to the USB dongle and through a powered USB hub. In both cases the M-150 recognized, light on drive lit up, and set up as u-disk, but navigating to the drive showed Empty Folder in the File Browser. Drive formatted NTFS. I don't know if a drive formatted ext2 would work or not.

Same results trying a multi-card reader which did not surprise me since it is one of the kind that shows up as 3 or 4 different drive letters.

Installed Astro app manager and Kindle for Android using apks copied to the device.

Wifi worked, and YouTube videos played fine. The only thing I noticed is that the wifi on the M-150 is a little weak. Sitting in my den about 15 feet and two walls from my router where I have no problem with my netbook I was getting one, sometimes two little "bars" on the wifi indicator, and I could only get to a few websites then would lose them. I was able to access my Kindle Archives and add a couple of books to the device. Sometimes I could get to YouTube and find a video, but got a connection error every time I tried to play a video. In my office/grandkid's playroom, sitting just a few feet from the router I could access any website and play YouTube Videos. I was able to connect to the wifi hotspot in the cafe near my office, but could not access any websites. That connection can be a little flaky anyway, but someone with a laptop was connected OK. After my experience later at home I know suspect the problem was just the weak wife on the M-150.

To get to the screen with all the app icons you tap the little arrow at the right side of the screen and drag it to the left. I knew this from my A5IT, but guess I did not do it just right yesterday.

Still have open items I have not pursued yet:
1. USB mouse orientation issue
2. Haven't found Sound Recorder. May have to get an app for that. Came loaded on my A5IT. I thought it was standard part of Android.
3. Having Camera images save to SD card. Can select this, but does not seem to save image.

Kelvin
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
RainmanP: the weak wifi issue you describe sounds familiar. Are you holding it right? You are probably touching parts that you shouldn't. Lets email Steve Job :)

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Someone said it can't read PDF, can you confirm? My primary usage for this type of device is as an eReader. It wouldn't be good if it can't read PDF. My unit just got shipped today.

Avarwen
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
If I can use this as a cheap universal ereader I might pick it up. Can you use all the android ebooks apps on this? If so I'll more than likely pick this up.

richardf
10-28-2010, 12:52 AM
I added a power app to my home screen but would like to remove it. Cannot figure it out. Eyeball captures a pic of the screen? Where to and what for? What is airplane setting?

richardf
10-28-2010, 12:56 AM
I had no problem with a Microsoft wireless mouse. I can't imagine what would make it different from your other computers.

Cobb
10-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Hello, thanks for having me as a member. I missed out on the one sold at kmart for 99 bucks and saw this one in a flyer and bought it. I purchased it last Friday at Walgreens and was told I should get it by Nov 12:angry: . I decided to have it shipped to the store and got it for less than 99 bucks with discounts.

I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms at various medical offices and have free wifi at those places. I previously bought a used 1st gen ipod touch to use to kill time for next to nothing and installed a new battery. It works ok, but it suffer the dreaded signal drop from time to time. I hope this replaces it for you tube and netflix on demand.

Does this play you tube and netflix ok? I have an external battery for the ipod, will it work on this? How useful is it out the box and what other apps can you get?

A friend of mines said I could copy his Droid OS, but he said since it is an HTC, it may not work. Is that right? Is there a thread for mods, cheats, cracks, updates that can be done?

Thanks.

PS, I live in the Richmond, VA area is anyone is "local". I know enough about computers to be dangerous :rofl:

RainmanP
10-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I will try to answer some questions posters have asked.

PDF - have not tried pdf, but I will do so.

Ebook reader - I would say it is a GREAT ebook reader. It comes with Aldiko, which, if you have not tried it is a really good ebook reader. I also installed Kindle for Android on it and retrieved a couple of books from my Kindle Archive. Works flawlessly. Since it uses these two apps I don't see why it would not install any others you might choose to try.

Richardf - Remove app - Go to Settings>Applications, select the app, and you should have the option to uninstal

YouTube and Netflix - Plays YouTube fine. As far as I know, there is not Netflix player for Android. No Hulu either because, if I understand corrently, Flash video requires Android 2.2. I have not yet seen confirmation whether Flash is actually working on 2.2 yet or not since it is so new. I admit I have not been checking.

HTC or other OS - I don't know if that would work or not. Some firmware has been tweaked for specific devices. There are other hacks and alternative firmware. Slatedroid has a forum for this device and similar ones. One poster over there seems intent on working with this device and has suggested some firmware/ROM.

External battery - if you have an external battery that has the right tip it will work. I have an Energizer XPal XP8000 that came with the right tip, and it works fine. I tried it yesterday.

So far the only real shortcomings I have found with this device are the weak wifi and relatively short battery life. No worse than older laptops, I guess - 1.5-2 hours.

Cobb
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks. Although ipod has a netflix app, you can go to their website and stream from there too. I too would use the network sites to catch missed tv shows. Anyway you can go to nbc, abc, cbs, etc and try watching an episode of anything would be great.

I am guessing airplane mode turns off the wifi radio.

Great, I have one of those battery packs too and a bag of adapters, woohoo. Now if it will just hurry up and get here. :thanks:

RainmanP
10-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I will try to answer some questions posters have asked.

PDF - have not tried pdf, but I will do so.

Ebook reader - I would say it makes a great ebook reader. It comes with Aldiko, which, if you have not tried it is a really good ebook reader. I also installed Kindle for Android on it and retrieved a couple of books from my Kindle Archive. Works flawlessly. Since it uses these two apps I don't see why it would not install any others you might choose to try.

To remove an app - Go to Settings>Applications, select the app, and you should have the option to uninstal

Microphone - there is a microphone on the top edge toward the right side.

Camera is front-facing, ie, faces user, so you can video chat.

YouTube and Netflix - Plays YouTube fine. As far as I know, there is not Netflix player for Android. No Hulu either because, if I understand corrently, Flash video requires Android 2.2. I have not yet seen confirmation whether Flash is actually working on 2.2 yet or not since it is so new. I admit I have not been checking.

HTC or other OS - I don't know if that would work or not. Some firmware has been tweaked for specific devices. There are other hacks and alternative firmware. Slatedroid has a forum for this device and similar ones. One poster over there seems intent on working with this device and has suggested some firmware/ROM.

External battery - if you have an external battery that has the right tip it will work. I have an Energizer XPal XP8000 that came with the right tip, and it works fine. I tried it yesterday.

Weak wifi update - today I was able to log on to the free wifi at the local public library.

So far the only real shortcomings I have found with this device are the weak wifi and relatively short battery life. No worse than older laptops, I guess - 1.5-2 hours.

tipstir
10-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Here it is Tuesday morning and still waiting for it. TIPSTIR sounds like my new best friend for tweaking.

Thanks for saying that! I do try!

tipstir
10-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Tipstir- What is the cost on the Coby? Similar features? The test on both will be interesting.

Coby was listed at $199.99 on HSN but they had 4x flex payments of $49 plus shipping So it cost me $63 to get by this past Tuesday.

JohnK11
10-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Maylong IS NOW $129 !!!
Elonex 7"(1.6) and 10"(2.1!!!) Android tablet in UK Toys'R'Us.

UK Toys'R'Us (will the US one be far behind ??) is selling
Elonex Android tablets in 2 versions

7" Android 1.6 (sounds just like the Maylong, 90 pounds (about $143)
about $15 more than Walgreen's current $129 asking price
--no longer $99 since this morning)

10" Android 2.1 !!! (150 pounds, or $240) weights 1-1/2 pound.
If the battery life is close to 10+ hours, and its performance
and reliability are as decent as the Maylong, and good access
to app stores, this could be a worthy competitor to ipad,
especially if discounted to below $200.

Apple, watch out !!!

JohnK11
10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Re : Elonex 10" Android 2.1 tablet review--not quite the ipad
killer I was hoping for

Here's a review of the UK Elonex 10" Android 2.1 tablet--

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-

netbooks/elonex-etouch-1000et-903435/review?src=rss&attr=reviewpc

http://computing-news.mattters.com/

(I am quite sad that there is no review of the Maylong by respectable
US computer sources--and yet this UK product, just announced, has a
decent review !!! what's happening to the US computer news sources ??)

with 3 hours batter life (and less with wifi), not quite the ipad
killer I was hoping for. It does have a 1GHz ARM11 processor, but the
response is not too good. I agree with the reviewer in that

Although sceptical at first, it's important to see the eTouch
1000ET for what it is, and while the build quality, battery life
and some aspects of usability leave quite a bit to be desired,
at this price it is hard to complain.

JohnK11
10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Finally a mention (outdated, since the $99 price is now $129) in a respectable Computer news source--zdnet (still none in PCmag.com)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/walgreens-is-selling-100-android-tablet-no-prescription-required/4185#comments

spkmn
10-29-2010, 12:30 PM
How is the device?

tipstir
10-29-2010, 01:36 PM
I've been on the net since 1989 BB with PKware, 1990 well Prodigy then 1991 AOL didn't get on internet since 1995. So my reviews on stuff is pretty good I use to send in reviews to the Mags for Windows and such. I have the Maylong M-150 on order, but suppose to be shipped out. Now 3 days and counting. I am planning on doing a full review on it. Still working on the Coby KYROS review here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/reviews-f25/) The issue with the KYROS they really don't give you any software and the icons and fonts are way to huge. I have to use third party software to fix that. That should have been fixed prior to sending out to customers.

Kelvin
10-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Tipstirs. Someone over XDA said he successfully rooted the Maylong with your EPAD ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH". Have you tried it? Btw, you are a genius.

tipstir
10-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Tipstirs. Someone over XDA said he successfully rooted the Maylong with your EPAD ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH". Have you tried it? Btw, you are a genius.

I can't take credit for that ROM, Credit needs to go to Russian guy screen name: HidePerso I just let the world know about the ROM. But thanks for letting me that ROM can work on it. I'll pass that info to others who have Maylong M-150 :thumbsup:

richardf
10-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I did a factory reset to see what happens and it worked. Reset did not change the content of the microSD. This is a great little machine but there sure needs to be more instructions.

Remove folders how?
Purpose of eyeball?
Factory reset only visible in e-reader orentation.
Set up multiple email icons?
Delete emails without opening?

RainmanP
10-30-2010, 11:06 AM
richardf,
If you press and hold a folder I believe you should get a file management popup with the usual Cut, Copy, Delete. You may have to scroll to see Delete.

Press the eyeball icon to produce a screen shot. When you open File Browser you will see some pink file icons named by date. Tap to open and view the screen shot.

tipstir
10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
It's best to have the capture dumps save to the SD card instead of the default internal storage. Same feature is on ePad below is taken from capture save.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs919.snc4/73208_449241157948_579882948_5488188_1387617_n.jpg

RainmanP
10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Tipstir,
A couple of times you have mentioned having capture dumps redirected to SD card. Since many of us are relative neophytes with Android can you describe how to change this?

Also, As I have mentioned, in the Camera app I have selected SD card as storage destination. The Camera seems to take a shot, but I cannot find the image anywhere. What am I not doing?
Thanks,
Raymond

tipstir
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
This device can use the itouch/iphone/ipod/ipad 30-pin to USB data cable. You can buy it generic online dirt cheap on Amazon or go out to the store like RS has them in black too. This is how I connect my PC to the ePad which the Maylong M-150 is based on. You don't need any USB drivers for Android with these devices. You should see two drives: Internal and external drives appear.

I set my screen captures to external 4GB Class (4) microSDHC you can go higher 16GB or 32GB.

Let me know if you can see the below images: There is suppose to be print capture icon

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs446.ash2/71919_452940272948_579882948_5546740_7765225_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs980.snc4/75295_452940292948_579882948_5546741_8306156_n.jpg

RainmanP
10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Tipstir,
Thanks! I found the screen shot settings. It is in the Picture Capture app. I thought I had looked there, but I guess not. Still can't figure getting Camera images to store on the SD card.

I have noticed you mention of the iPod 30-pin to USB cable. I'm not clear how it can be used. The Maylong does not have an iPod/iPhone dock-type connector.

Yes I can see the screenshot images you post. Thanks for those!

tipstir
10-30-2010, 02:41 PM
I provide users with collection of tools, apps, wallpaper in my PowerTools 2010 there is more than one now. So you can change the background images also randomly on the file. Plus all what you see.

Go here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/downloads-f19/)

bishop793
10-30-2010, 07:01 PM
hello all. I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have been wanting to get a tablet device ever since the Ipad was announced, however I really could not see paying 500.00for it. I have seen other tablets being sold on ebay from Hong Kong and so forth, but was not really sure about getting something from overseas and having it not work and going through the hassle of returning and refunding.

I have seen so many people posting on the net criticizing and blasting these inexpensive tablets. Calling them "crappy" or a "piece of junk", and these are people who haven't even tried the product!

Dont get me wrong, I have an iphone and am very happy with it, although basically I would like something with a bigger screen to watch videos while taking the train to work, and i really dont want to pay 500.00 for it.

I was eagerly awaiting the Samsung Tab to finally hit the states, but then found it was going to cost at least 400.00. I dont need 3g thats why I have the iphone lol.

I ordered the Maylong and cannot wait till it gets here. It's 100.00 bucks. If it comes out of the box "crappy", then I can take it back to Walgreens. If it last for a year, I feel i got my money's worth. I am not expecting some high end tablet than can help me rule the world. I just want a nice device with a good size screen. The wifi, ebook reader itself and any other extras are a plus in my book (tipster, your screenshoots look great!). And for memory and speed, my iphone is about 600mhz with 256 ram, so i really should not see that much of a difference. Thanks to listening to me ramble, thanks for your positive post and long live inexpensive tablets!!

JohnK11
10-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Crypto over at droidforum.net has a great table comparing
available Android tablets. See

http://sf-zone.net/android_tablets/

In particular, take a look at the Wisatech (Wits) buy now
button, for several very nice videos--one comparing 3
Android 2.1/2.2 tablets, another showing how to get access to Android
market with the Wisatech (the only 2.2 tablet as of now--
except 2 new Herotabs--one a 300 capacitative 10.1"!!!)
Wisatech 2.2 also have flash !!!

RainmanP
10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
bishop793,
I think the Maylong and other inexpensive tablets are OK as long as you are realistic about what you expect from a $100 device. It's a it slow, but if you look at it as a pretty good ebook reader and portable email device it's not bad. On the videos I have tried, the video lags way behind the audio. MP4 files transcoded using default iPhone parameters. I have not had time to fool with trying to get video working. I keep hoping someone will chime in with some ideas on that.

tipstir
10-30-2010, 11:33 PM
bishop793.

From my experience with the ePad the Maylong shouldn't be any different. The price you pay for the Android OS 1.6 on 800x480 16:9 dual speaker stereo sound, mic, camera/video camera is much more than you get with the high end. I am not sure you get 3G as that is on the ePad. The step up would be Coby KYROS that's heavy because of the glass layer instead of plastic layer you get on ePad and M-150 which is lighter.

RainmanP, video would be: 400x240p If you want to learn more go here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/gome-epad-flytouch-f24/about-watching-a-movie-t292.htm) I've found a free Windows program to convert on the fly.

Here's that 30-pin to USB to PC adapter
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs471.ash2/74432_453157927948_579882948_5552147_4750477_n.jpg

bishop793
10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Tipster and rainmanp for your input. The Coby sounds pleasing. I am also getting interested in the ZT-180. Higher processor, 10.1 screen, higher OS. Although the ram is the same. I will check the forum for reviews. Thanks again.

Grateful11
10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Is the verdict out on whether or not the Maylong will load and read pdf's?
Thanks

RainmanP
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Tipstir,
Thanks for the info on the iPod/iPhone/iPad adapter. The Maylong does not have that. I wish it did since I have many of those cables!

tipstir
10-31-2010, 05:51 PM
You don't have this?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs328.ash2/60867_437950417948_579882948_5282024_7818959_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs668.snc4/60867_437950422948_579882948_5282025_3556438_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs648.snc4/60867_437950427948_579882948_5282026_8380143_n.jpg

Too do this

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs279.snc4/40272_422613372948_579882948_4940483_589094_n.jpg

RainmanP
10-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, no. On the Maylong M-150 the port for the USB/ethernet dongle is narrower and unlike anything I have seen. The USB ports are on the "upper" side, away from the user. I'm pretty sure vendors have to pay a license to Apple to incorporate the iPod universal dock connector, don't they? I will try to remember to take a pic of the Maylong dongle side by side with an iPod connector.

I wish all devices would stick with one of the standard USB configurations - full size A, mini, or micro.

tipstir
11-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, no. On the Maylong M-150 the port for the USB/ethernet dongle is narrower and unlike anything I have seen. The USB ports are on the "upper" side, away from the user. I'm pretty sure vendors have to pay a license to Apple to incorporate the iPod universal dock connector, don't they? I will try to remember to take a pic of the Maylong dongle side by side with an iPod connector.

I wish all devices would stick with one of the standard USB configurations - full size A, mini, or micro.

Oh you got the newer design

Oh by-the-way there is a new ROM out (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/gome-epad-flytouch-f24/rom-new-256mb-mod-flytouch-20_88-en-rooted-market-t346.htm) Seems to have some of my tweaks and Collection.

papa709394
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Tipstir,
Thanks for your information.
From all I read, the ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH" is not Android 2.1.
Is it Android 1.9? with Build number 1.9_88 rooted?
The new ROM as mentioned in your site is Android 1.9 with Build number 2.0_88 and it seems to be better than Android 1.6 (from the picture).

tipstir
11-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Tipstir,
Thanks for your information.
From all I read, the ROM "EPAD 256M and 128M 1.9_88 rooted v0.3 WORKING MARKET FROM FLASH" is not Android 2.1.
Is it Android 1.9? with Build number 1.9_88 rooted?
The new ROM as mentioned in your site is Android 1.9 with Build number 2.0_88 and it seems to be better than Android 1.6 (from the picture).

No be careful this is how it goes:

Android OS v1.6
Build v1.9_88

See picture

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs889.snc4/72265_162821640417585_100000692514859_366936_51523 93_n.jpg

The above image is saying the 256MB of RAM, Android OS v1.6 with a Build v2.0.88 (This is the latest Rooted ROM MOD.

These devices will never do Android OS v2.1 or greater. But ROM Coders were trying to get it to work. One did but there was issues with the LCD Panel, some users reported in saying the device didn't boot-up. So their may be hope for Android OS v2.1 not by the ODM but by ROM Coders? Just have to wait and see.

tipstir
11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Well looks like my Maylong M-150 that was in limo, Walgreen's CS contact UPS and it's coming tomorrow 11/2/2010 since ordering it on 10/22/10.

mcocorochio
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Well looks like my Maylong M-150 that was in limo, Walgreen's CS contact UPS and it's coming tomorrow 11/2/2010 since ordering it on 10/22/10.

tipstir,

Just wanted to thank you for the various pieces of advice and links in the forums. I'm new to Android and got my Maylong a week ago today. I rooted is yesterday just to get the Market. Well worth the time.

I'm more a productivity user and less a gamer, do you know any way to get some kind of accurate copy of my Google contacts on this thing?

For the 'real' Google mail download we have to have 2.2

Thanks again,
Mike

papa709394
11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
tipstir,

Thank you for your info. Now I know the different is the Build Number. I'm new to Android and my Maylong is on its way.

mcocorochio,

Which ROM did you use to root your Maylong? Any improve in performance?

Thank you.

mcocorochio
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
tipstir,

mcocorochio,

Which ROM did you use to root your Maylong? Any improve in performance?

Thank you.

I used "EPAD256.1.988.3k.7z". I didn't really use it long enough to note the original performance. I thought the origianal was good enough the $100 I spent, so I didn't dwell on it.

I think it may be possible that I'm using the battery a bit faster. I was getting 2-3 hours originally. Now it looks like I will be lucky to get 2 hours. I could be quick of the downloading that I been doing to set this up again.
Even that is worth it to get the Market.

papa709394
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
mcocorochio,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I think disable the WIFI will extend the battery life a little bit. Just like my WM phone.

microleaks
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I just got my M-150 yesterday and I tried to use EPAD 256M and the update looked successful. I restarted, got the new boot screen and got the standard Android loading screen (which run for a long time). Then it went a black screen that said "System" is not responding and had the option to end or wait. Neither button did anything. Am I dead in the water? Anyone else have an issue like this with the M-150?

Thanks

mcocorochio
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I just got my M-150 yesterday and I tried to use EPAD 256M and the update looked successful. I restarted, got the new boot screen and got the standard Android loading screen (which run for a long time). Then it went a black screen that said "System" is not responding and had the option to end or wait. Neither button did anything. Am I dead in the water? Anyone else have an issue like this with the M-150?

Thanks

microleaks,
Having done just one Maylong does not make me an expert, but in my job I have to image solid state 'thin' computers once in a while.
Getting the new screen indicates that you probably setup the sd card correctly.
I think the next step would be to try again. If you have time, you may consider reformatting the SD and reloading the image on it in case there was a small error on the card.

Mike C.

bishop793
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
i called walgreens yesterday...i ordered mine on 10/28/10. Havent seen an email yet with tracking..the cs at walgreens was no help..just saying that they are still processing the order....so i went and ordered the zt-180 from a US dealer on ebay (200.00). If the zt-180 is not a dude, I will return the m-150 back to walgreens.

funny thing is..when i first saw the m-150 on walgreens site, it was avaiable on line..later on that day it was sold out, then the next day they were available...not sure if they backordered more when they realized the demand was high.....

Cobb
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for posting the info. I cant wait to get mines, an sd card and update it.

Is there a case, screen protector, etc out there?

Yeah, still waiting. I see walgreens now sells it for 129 in their latest catalog and they know me as the tablet guy. I got a call it was in, but no one can find it. I bet they are playing it as we speak.

tipstir
11-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I got mine and returned the same night. It was no different than my flytouch ePad the only difference is that the ePad can use (ipod/iphone/itouch/ipad 30-pin USB connector to PC while the maylong m-150 can't use it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs882.snc4/71573_455125262948_579882948_5590148_7285534_n.jpg

Full review here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/reviews-f25/maylong-universe-tablet-m-150-a-short-work-in-progress-t362.htm) (not much you can review on it) the CPU is not what they claim it to be. I had that Verified by VIA Engineer in an email. I had gave him the site link for Maylong and he was shock to say that's a VIA WM8505 running at 300MHz. I got the stock showing 0 MHz and 174 B/MPOS It's 300MHz.

Well had I droved to Walgreen's at 8pm. I had asked to see the manager. He came out and told me he was glad that I had brought the shipping receipt paper work. First he told me that the shipping was non-refundable, I told him WG CS told me I could get it back. So my total was $109 with shipping, tax etc. He game back $111.26, told me they had charged me tax on shipping! He told me I can take that from you my shipping box. If you look at the box it looks like I never open it. There is trick I've learned years ago in retail. Works today. You just need wax paper and an small knife just lift up the tape tab and stuck the wax paper under it. Now if you don't want the product you just carefully remove the wax paper and TA DA! looks like you never open the box.!

Cobb
11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow...... Sorry to hear that. I just downloaded the ROM too.

tipstir
11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I have ePad no need for me to have M-150. I also have Coby KYROS. I only need to tablets. M-150 if this is your very first tablet then it's good for you to use and learn about Android OS.

tipstir
11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow...... Sorry to hear that. I just downloaded the ROM too.

No you can continue to use I'll support it but I don't need to keep it. Since I have the ePad which is base on it. Same tablet I don't need to have two of them.

Cobb
11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
:iloveyou:

Keep it up for us. Even if I can not watch movies or tv on it, at least it gives me something else to play with. I can use the ipod for movies or pandora, then this for surfing.

Since it uses the rom from the other tablet, is there a manual too? Is there a built in one like the ipod?

:thanks:

tipstir
11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
:iloveyou:

Keep it up for us. Even if I can not watch movies or tv on it, at least it gives me something else to play with. I can use the ipod for movies or pandora, then this for surfing.

Since it uses the rom from the other tablet, is there a manual too? Is there a built in one like the ipod?

:thanks:

You can watch movies, music videos on it. Do you want to know how? Actually the manual in the Maylong M-150 is better than the one you get from China for ePad. You have color pictures we don't have any. Plus not any better. What would you like to know?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs834.snc4/69489_448074457948_579882948_5472499_7397595_n.jpg

NoName
11-04-2010, 08:38 PM
tipstir - sorry to hear that you aren't keeping it. Was hoping you could help out with root as it seems the ones receiving theirs recently have not had any success. As far as I can tell there are only 2 people who were able to successfully root and they seem to have been some of the early buyers. I tried and had to revert back to the replacement you have out.

Do you happen to have a replacement with a later build? Or is there a way for me to copy it off a second Maylong that I got but havent done anythng to. Got them for 2 grandkids and now they're not the same anymore (different builds and home pages, etc). Seems kids will ffind something to fight about if they're not the same.

Thanks.

tipstir
11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
This M-150 uses a different drivers so the ePad community is working on these drivers. So when that happens you should be able to use the same drivers. The odd thing about the M-150 is the connection port. I didn't care for it. Right down to the settings is the same as the ePad except you did have a quick launch feature but I guess that's in the latest ROM. Yes my niece didn't care for the first ePad. She told me uncle it's too slow. Now my second one is faster. But even if you apply the Rooted ROM MOD they still need to be tweaked. I post what I can when I see anything to post about the ROMs. Now they're coming come out with Flytouch ePad 2 out of china so instead of having that connector to connect to you would have all those ports on the unit itself. I don't know if Maylong would carry such a tablet.

NoName
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
tipstir - have you any idea why 2 people could root in the beginning and now I'm only seeing posts about being bricked or stuck in loading? I was one and I tried everything before I went to the replacement.

I don't know if there are any more who successfully rooted; no one else said so.

I'm curious how many got it to work and how many didn't.

tipstir
11-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Has to be something with the hardware. I've seen the same issue on ePad. Where some can overclock it to 400MHz and some are stuck at 350MHz, 375MHz or 387MHz.

Kelvin
11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Tipstir: how long does the battery on your EPAD last? I'm just received my M-150 today. I started playing with it after several hours of charging The battery went down to 35% after 45 minutes. I'm not happy with it. Additionally, my eyes were strain looking at the screen for 15 minutes or so. I'm considering returning it as well.

tipstir
11-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Yep that's how it was when I got the ePad after Rooted ROM solved that but if Quick Settings you don't need it rooted to use:

http://cdn-3.androidzoom.com/screenshots/908-1.jpg
Use this and adjust the back-light panel to 50% might even try 25% these panels are different that you get on the more expensive tablets.

Kelvin
11-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Tipstir: thanks for the tip. I will play for the next few days and see if I will grow into it. Have you installed Angry Bird on your EPAD? I tried but it didn't work. I haven't rooted mine, it is still running the stock 1.6. Do you think it would help if I rooted it to 1.9? Thanks.

JBPK33
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I returned it yesterday to Walgreen's. No hassle. Got a full refund (credit card). When I tried to put the micro sd card in it got stuck. Had a hard time yanking it out. Couldn't download apps, books, etc.

tipstir
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I returned it yesterday to Walgreen's. No hassle. Got a full refund (credit card). When I tried to put the micro sd card in it got stuck. Had a hard time yanking it out. Couldn't download apps, books, etc.

Mine kept on popping out and then wouldn't come out. That's not good off the get go! Got $2 bucks more from the Executive Assisted Manager.

Those of you who have M-150, I am making a new Rooted ROM for it. I have one for ePad which I had released late in the morning today!

NoName
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Those of you who have M-150, I am making a new Rooted ROM for it. I have one for ePad which I had released late in the morning today!

Thanks Tipster! Can't wait to try it and hope it works.

Haven't made a final decision yet on whether I return them, but I might just keep them as they're mostly for being readers for 2 kids. But it would be nice to have a working Market.

Any idea when ths should be ready?

TallMomof2
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I received my M-150 today and since all of you were having problems with Micro SD I used a thumb drive to move over the Kindle apk and it works but I can't find the Kindle directory so I can move over some books.

tipstir
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Tipster! Can't wait to try it and hope it works.

Haven't made a final decision yet on whether I return them, but I might just keep them as they're mostly for being readers for 2 kids. But it would be nice to have a working Market.

Any idea when ths should be ready?

I am testing out v0.7a 2.0.0.105 now for ePad crowd. The only version that works on M-150 one right now is v3. I going to test v3 with 2.0.0.105 and without updates, but you'll have the new ad-host to block stuff off the web, plenty of games for the kids/adult :chinscratch:. I won't be able to test the M-150 version someone I guess will on my tablet zone. Market will be available also.

Kelvin
11-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Tipstir, will it support M-150 with 2.1.1.105? thanks for the hard work.

richardf
11-06-2010, 12:28 AM
I returned mine to Wallgreens yesterday with some regrets. I was starting to lose battery life and I plan to only buy one tablet pc and I feel that a 10" one would be better. I used a neighbors Ipad today and was super impressed with the speed and apps. What does one do if the battery would fail? Can they be replaced?

tipstir
11-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Tipstir, will it support M-150 with 2.1.1.105? thanks for the hard work.

No I don't have access to the WMT2.1.1.105. But the latest version is now ready. I must warn though, I have no way to test it but it's build from v0.3 but using WMT2.0.0.105 updates. It does have 67 apps and bonus Wallpaper Collection Package 45.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs495.ash2/76879_456175597948_579882948_5606956_5658921_n.jpg (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/maylong-m-150-universe-tablet-pc-f23/tipstir-s-rooted-rom-mod-m-150-epad-2-v06c-v200_105-hybrid-256mb-yes-market-works-t388.htm)

Click on the image above and it will take you the file you seek.

tipstir
11-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Beta ROM MOD for Maylong M-150 Walgreen's Tablet available (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/maylong-m-150-universe-tablet-pc-f23/tipstir-s-rom-mod-m-150-beta-v001-build-20105-11-7-10-market-beta-test-risk-alert-t405.htm)

bishop793
11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
i called walgreens yesterday...i ordered mine on 10/28/10. Havent seen an email yet with tracking..the cs at walgreens was no help..just saying that they are still processing the order....so i went and ordered the zt-180 from a US dealer on ebay (200.00). If the zt-180 is not a dude, I will return the m-150 back to walgreens.

funny thing is..when i first saw the m-150 on walgreens site, it was avaiable on line..later on that day it was sold out, then the next day they were available...not sure if they backordered more when they realized the demand was high.....

I just go a tracking number on the 9th but at first it said invalid number, now today its saying "billing info received". meanwhile I got my zt-180 last week and am happy with so far.

Grateful11
11-14-2010, 12:03 PM
It's back on sale for $99.99. Can someone tell me if it will read pdf's? Also does it have zoom capability within a page?

Dave_S
11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Can someone tell me if it will read pdf's? Also does it have zoom capability within a page?

I do not know anything about Maylong, but that does not really matter since there are plenty of Android PDF viewers including the one from Adobe itself. Just load whichever PDF viewer that you want to use. FWIW, all of them that I have looked into can zoom, since that is a basic required feature for small screens.

Grateful11
11-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I do not know anything about Maylong, but that does not really matter since there are plenty of Android PDF viewers including the one from Adobe itself. Just load whichever PDF viewer that you want to use. FWIW, all of them that I have looked into can zoom, since that is a basic required feature for small screens.

Thanks! It's looks like there's going to be loads of these tablets hitting the market, may wait for something using the newer OS of Android. The reviews over at Walgreens don't look to promising for the Maylong.

marinjim
11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
FYI the Maylong is $99 again at Walgreen.com

tipstir
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
touch image below or click with your mouse

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1220.snc4/155271_462006212948_579882948_5685996_6256916_n.jp g (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/rooted-non-rooted-rom-mod-f40/tweaked-wmt200_105-beta-006-11-15-10-t506.htm)

The above was just release today for Maylong M-150. I've been working to release another ROM for it that works. So today looks like this one is working.

scottfromscott
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I received my Maylong M-150 today (ordered on Oct 28).
camera software webcam feature works, but fuzzy

I was able to speed up performance by :
download advanced task killer at http://advanced-task-killer.en.softonic.com/phones
use file browser to open download folder and choose install
after install run app and uncheck ALL running apps
the device will run noticeably faster.
SF

scottfromscott
11-17-2010, 01:36 AM
For the Maylong M-150:

I formatted a 4GB USB Flash drive FAT32 and was able to read a .txt file stored on it with the tablet.

There is a thick cellophane film on the screen which, when removed, allows the webcam to take pictures about as good as my Acer netbook (not too great).

Downloading apps without Android Market working is like pulling teeth :)

I am still happy with it...so far
SF

Cobb
11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I returned mines too after 2 days of use. I visited a local McDonalds and both days after 20 minutes the web browser froze. Everything else would load up, but could not get a connection. This was at 2 different stores too. The market place had a lot of crap and Youtube videos were blury. The screen took a lot of effort and many cases the image on the screen darken or changed colors like if you press on an LCD non touch screen. It felt much like a childs or dogs toy, plastic, soft and squishie.

I got mines 3 days after I posted previously. I paid 99.74 for it and got 110.74 refund :thumbsup:

cavi
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
can it connect to the android market? if not, why?

Dave_S
11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
can it connect to the android market? if not, why?

Look at the specs for the Maylong M-150 Tablet. It does not meet the specifications to qualify for Market access. The specifications are provided in the "Android Compatibility Definition" which you can easily find with a web search. However, there are ways to hack Market access if you want to work at it a bit.