Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
runningwithbulls
runningwithbulls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WiFi
Highlight and delete multiple files?

Hi there,

I get about 16 newspapers/blog updates delivered to my Kindle 3 everyday.

At the end of the day, I want to delete them.

Is there anyway I can highlight a number of files (from menu, or "star" them) and then delete? Or is there a keystroke I can use instead of using the right-hand button of the rocker, and navigating to "Delete this document"?

Any help appreciated!

thanks
RWB
runningwithbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I'm afraid I don't know of any delete shortcut or anything that would make the process quicker for you.

It could possibly be faster to plug in your kindle into a pc where you can delete multiple files in one go.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Are the new issues pushing the old issues into a collection called Periodicals? If so, they will get automatically deleted from Periodicals after 6-8 days. If you don't want to manually delete them you will have to live with the current issue of all of them on your Home screen every day.

See this thread for more details.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
runningwithbulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Are the new issues pushing the old issues into a collection called Periodicals? If so, they will get automatically deleted from Periodicals after 6-8 days. If you don't want to manually delete them you will have to live with the current issue of all of them on your Home screen every day.

See this thread for more details.
Hello TomF & TheKindleWorm,

Thanks for your replies.

TKW - I don't really want to have to plug in USB just for that..it would be good if I could highlight them all, or something.

Tom - Yes the old ones are getting pushed into Periodicals...they are all content which is delivered by Calibre. But so far none have been deleted. To be fair, the oldest is from the 12th of Oct. So, tomorrow some should be deleted automatically, today being the 20th? Do I have to configure this anywhere?

thanks in advance,
Bernard
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningwithbulls View Post
Or is there a keystroke I can use instead of using the right-hand button of the rocker, and navigating to "Delete this document"?
Using the left rocker is the equivalent of a delete button. It'll be a few keystrokes faster than the method you're using now.

Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
runningwithbulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Using the left rocker is the equivalent of a delete button. It'll be a few keystrokes faster than the method you're using now.

Tracey
Hi Tracey,

Excellent. Yes - I never thought of that.

That'll save about 5 keystrokes per deletion.

ta,
RWB
Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The back issues rules are a little murky (to me anyway) but I believe Kindle will typically save at least 7 issues. In addition, I think they have to be over a week old before they'll get deleted.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
runningwithbulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The back issues rules are a little murky (to me anyway) but I believe Kindle will typically save at least 7 issues. In addition, I think they have to be over a week old before they'll get deleted.

Hi Tomsem,

thanks for the reply. Is there any parameter anywhere in the Kindle that I can check that is set?

There seems to be about 60 periodicals, the oldest being the 12th of Oct. It was there last night and is still there today....

thanks anyway,
RWB
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I was always of the belief as stated above the items stayed for 7 days and then dropped off. I have included the below extract from the Kindle Support section on amazon.

I note that it says it will keep "7 issues old", not 7 days old. This to me means that if you have less than 7 issues of the same newspaper they could remain indefinitely. This has been news to me as well.

Keeping Subscription Content
Older issues of newspapers and magazines appear inside a grouping called "Periodicals: Back Issues." Selecting the grouping takes you to a screen that displays the back issues you have on your Kindle.
Kindle automatically deletes newspaper and magazine issues that are more than seven issues old to free up space for new content. An exclamation point next to a magazine or newspaper issue indicates that it will be deleted soon. If you'd like to keep a copy of an issue, follow these steps:

To keep a back issue:
Open the specific issue from the Kindle Home screen.
Press the Menu button and select "Keep This Issue."
You will then see the word "keep" to the left of the issue title in Home.

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
There was a thread somewhere else exploring how long issues would be kept, but I believe it is 7 issues not 7 days for each periodical. That same thread showed that some periodicals occasionally would keep 8 issues before deleting, and there was a hypothesis about why that may be (it may be the 8 included the current issue).

Personally, I don't worry much once they are in that back issues collection as I just don't go in there and I never have enough files on my Kindle to worry about storage issues.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delete, document, kindle, management