Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Smile Kindle DX and K3 Tricks v.1.1

G'day everyone!

I'm excited to announce that with the help of heaps of people who sent friendly suggestions and feedback, version 1.1 of the free ebook of Kindle DX & K3 tricks I started is out!

Lots and lots of additions and changes, several versions in between (summary below).

Gratefully taking suggestions for the next version!

Thanks all for sharing,

Wishing you all fun weekend,

Andy

Changes from v.0.9.3 to v.1.1
-------------------------------
- Backing up books using the screenshot function
- Secret picture viewer (Thanks Little Professor)
- Mention alternative "Duokan" firmware (thanks eLINK on MR)
- Max number of devices on one Amazon account: 6 (thanks Wikipedia)
- Added cover @ 600x800 (thanks Little Professor)
- making PDF @ screen size: mentioned that paper size is smaller than screen size because of status bar (thanks TS)
- Mentioned justification and margin hack (thanks DevX)
- The ebook's links now open in the same window, allowing you open them from Kindle (thanks Little Professor)
- Kindle continues indexing in Sleep mode (thanks Little Professor)
- Mentioned the PRC format earlier in the ebook (thanks Little Professor)
- Mentioned the 311 and 711 functions, removed Alt + Shift + 0 shortcut, added Alt+G, Alt+Space, Alt+F (thanks Little Professor)
- Mentioned the USB network hack (thanks Little Professor)
- Single-page PDF cropping: suggest BRISS [already mentioned for facing-page cropping in 0.9.3] (thanks TS)
- Win at Gomoku (thanks Little Professor)
-Mentioned Collection Manager (thanks Jacek)
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Wonderful thanks very much for sharing. I read the web page before but I think I'll now download to my kindle as it's expanded

Good of you to give credit where it is due too.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Hi Kindleworm,

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it!
Hey, I looked at your website... I love your detailed presentation of tips---added it to version 1.1.1 of the ebook.

Smiles,

Andy
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Rename file.htm to file.txt for direct reading in Kindle
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
playful
Mammal

Hi Guiyoforward,

Thanks for your message. I am a little confused, are you suggesting that a file on the site should be renamed, and if so, which one?

Cheers,

Andy
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
Hi Guiyoforward,

Thanks for your message. I am a little confused, are you suggesting that a file on the site should be renamed, and if so, which one?

Cheers,

Andy
No - I think they are giving you a tip. You cannot place a HTML file directly onto a kindle (although you can send it to your kindle email) to read. But if you change the file extension to .txt you can then place the file on your kindle and read it. I assume you lose a lot of formatting though - haven't tried it.

No worries about your site, I logged in via my kindle, clicked on the link and it downloaded straight onto the device. Excellent
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
playful
Mammal

Thanks for explaining, Kindleworm... And glad to hear the download is working. Added an Epub version for anyone in the "curious/lurking" category...
Hey, I followed the instructions on your site and subscribed to your news feed via Calibre. Excited to try that.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Nice book.
But no need to put the footer about ebook after every chapter.
Anyway, the book is useful and helpful for Kindle fans.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
- Max number of devices on one Amazon account: 6 (thanks Wikipedia)
I think you should double-check that. I have 9 devices on my account right now (4 kindles, 2 iPhones, 1 PC, 2 Macs). The simultaneous usage limit is usually 6 (unless otherwise specified by the publisher), but that's not the same thing as an account's device limit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00127470&#FAQs
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
playful
Mammal

Thanks Trekchick, thanks meem!

Adding that to the "to do" list for the next version.

Changes from v.1.1 to v.1.2: DONE
---------------------------------
- Added EPUB version of the ebook.
- Fixed AWS/AZW typo (thanks Little Professor)
- Added Shift + Alt + H as alternate to Shift + Alt + G for screen shots (thanks Little Professor)
- Format for picture viewer: 4-bit, not 8-bit (thanks Little Professor)
- Added link to Kindleworm

Changes from v.1.1 to v.1.2: TO DO
----------------------------------
- Check max number of Kindle devices per account (thanks trekchick)
- Instructions to convert image to 4-bit grayscale (thanks Little Professor)
- mention AZW1, TPZ etc (thanks Little Professor)
- look into footer (thanks meem)
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Nice work. Keep it up!

As far as number of devices goes - I don't think there is a limit to that. I have 7 devices and 5 apps currently registered.

There is, however, a limit to a number of devices that can have a given book opened at the same time. Normally it is 6 but publishers can tweak this number of individual books.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
playful
Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Nice work. Keep it up!

As far as number of devices goes - I don't think there is a limit to that. I have 7 devices and 5 apps currently registered.

There is, however, a limit to a number of devices that can have a given book opened at the same time. Normally it is 6 but publishers can tweak this number of individual books.
Yes, thank you. That's what the tricks page / ebook has been presenting for a couple months. (Search for "legal way to share my Amazon ebooks" on the tricks page.)

Wishing you a fun weekend!