View Full Version : Best Android Tablet?

Dopedangel
10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
whats the best Android tablet out at the moment. :help:
I promised my sister I will buy her a tablet by Nov and from the looks of it the best by far is still Ipad and its really bugging me that I will have to dish out for an apple device.
I know better Android tablets are coming out next year but by then she would be an apple zombie sadly I would be the cause.:eek:
I have already lost one sibling to the disease just this month after not being able to convince her to get an Android phone instead of Iphone 4. :smack:

toddos
10-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Honestly? She probably won't be happy with any of the Chinese knock-offs that are available today. Convince her to wait until next year when proper, name-brand tablets start shipping with capacitive multi-touch and non-stolen market access.

Dave_S
10-14-2010, 04:33 AM
I promised my sister I will buy her a tablet by Nov and from the looks of it the best by far is still Ipad and its really bugging me that I will have to dish out for an apple device.
I know better Android tablets are coming out next year but by then she would be an apple zombie sadly I would be the cause.:eek:
I have already lost one sibling to the disease just this month after not being able to convince her to get an Android phone instead of Iphone 4. :smack:

Currently, most of the "Android tablets" do not even meet the "Android 2.2 Compatibility Definition", and that is not even a tablet definition. The Android 3.0 Compatibility Definition will be the first to define minimum tablet specifications. Do you think that your sister would become an Android convert with the current crop of sub-par "Android Tablet" devices, or will she be frustrated with the limitations of the Android wannabes available now?

If you want to shop for one of the current crop it would probably be a good idea to find one that most closely meets the "Android 2.2 Compatibility Definition".
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/source.android.com/en//compatibility/android-2.2-cdd.pdf

mgmueller
10-14-2010, 10:01 AM

If you want to name it "tablet", Dell Streak probably is the best right now.
Samsung Galaxy Tab most likely will take over the pole position in a few weeks.
Personally, I (unfortunately) have to say, iPhone4/iPad for now are far ahead. Not because of the hardware, but Android isn't "mature" enough yet.

Graham
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking that in four days time the 10" tablet from Advent could bid for the pole position, at least for UK buyers (and until we get the version 3 crop).

http://www.gaj-it.com/25923/advent-vega-tablet-specs-price-and-release-date-all-revealed/

Graham

Guiltyr1
10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Personally I love the Pandigital Novel - I am so HAPPY with mine.. you can look at slatedroid on how to modify it. The reader reads everything..

Fernie
10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Personally I love the Pandigital Novel - I am so HAPPY with mine.. you can look at slatedroid on how to modify it. The reader reads everything..

Can it read DJVU files?

JSWolf
10-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Any Android tabelt that does not have market support is not worth bothering with.

Noah98
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
The Archos 101 (hopefully it will be out next month)

Sonist
10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Best Android tablet?

The one that will come next year, with OS 3.0 and hopefully decent battery life.

Until then, get her an iPad.

(Or she will ultimately be disappointed.)

sophiemith
10-15-2010, 05:35 AM
good, it is a wonderful thing

Dopedangel
10-15-2010, 06:01 AM
So far I am leaning towards the Samsung galaxy tab depending on its off contract price.
It has market available on it and is supported by Google and already has 2.2 on it.

Guiltyr1
10-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Can it read DJVU files?

I believe it can. Haven't tried it though..

http://code.google.com/p/vudroid/

VuDroid is a djvu and pdf document viewer based on code base of DjvuDroid and PdfDroid viewers. New VuDroid viewer will offer redesigned DjvuDroid features:

Zoom by slider drag
Progressive tree rendering
Fixed pdf crash issues
Fast orientation change
Page num visualization while scroll
More efficient memory usage
And more

vercetti
10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
hey guys,

i've been into android tablets for quite some weeks now and after some time (i'm pretty sure) i found the best one so far. it's not out yet but will most likely hit the shelves around december 2010, january 2011.
it's from a company in india called notionink, the tablet is called "adam".

you just have to check it out. there are so many people awaiting it, the blog is going crazy on their site and i have not found a single tablet offering more features (especially the PixelQi display) than any other tablet so far and all for a great price (will be between 350 and 500 dollars depending on which version you get).

PixelQi for those who do not know: it's a hybrid display meaning that it has a normal backlit display (like any other monitor/display) but you also have the option to turn off the backlight making the screen live off sunlight. so it functions outdoors in bright sunlight! also, pixelqi has a e-paper mode changing the screen to an e-ink similar screen, using very little battery.

the adam runs a dual core cpu!!, has nvidias newest tegra2 chip, has 1gb ram, 3usb ports, a (180degree) swivel camera, touchpad on the backside of the device!, hdmi, sd-card slot, depending on which screen mode you run you can get many many hours of battery life, display size is 10inch, 1024x600 (the only downside for me personally), it will feature its own market store called genesis, will pretty sure run android 2.2 and most likely be upgradeable to 3.0 (the developer of the device is active in the blog and has taken many inputs from fans so far, right now there's a contest going on to design the company's logo, hehe), and and and...

just check out this tablet, but remember that most videos you'll find on youtube are from many months ago as this tablet has been introduced early this year and has been in development stage for a long time now. gladly it will finally be released soon!

notionink.wordpress.com for the blog
and notionink.in for the small homepage with detailed specs and couple pix.

and no, i'm not from the company or anything alike, i just want to inform everyone about this product - i haven't found a better tablet yet, hands down.
still i probably won't be getting one cuz i don't like the fact of it having a 1024x600 screen. for me a tablet should be all for reading and surfing (which of course is also reading). and the 600pixels are just not ideal for doing that. i don't want to scroll around the whole time, that pisses me off. too bad there are hardly any tablets around (except for the ipad) that have a 1024x768 screen.

ok, i'm gonna shut up for now,
hope i could bring you some good info,
greetz,
v.

Xerxes
10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
The Archos 101 (hopefully it will be out next month)

I'm so hot for this or the Archos 70. Haven't decided on 10" or 7" yet. But they already have a side-loading market install work around to get the app store. Another drawback for me is Netflix has yet to make a Android app.

Jakie
10-19-2010, 06:41 AM
The Archos 70 or 101 seem so far ahead of anything else out there. Given what Augen did to drop the ball with their first attempt, I am leary about their gen 2 offerings. It will only get better as we watch! I like these better than the Galaxy, because I already have a phone plan, and do not want to fork out big bucks for another.

AndroidGold
10-19-2010, 07:27 AM

I suggest you check out our Android tablets at AndroidGold.com (http://www.androidgold.com)

We have sorted through hundreds of Android tablets from Chinese OEM manufacturers and identified the best of the lot to feature on our website.

The AG2 is by far the best we've come across and we're selling it for just $199 with a keyboard/case - which helps make up for some deficiency in the resistive touch screen, though recent firmware upgrades have greatly improved it's general utility.
We will provide an Android 2.2 upgrade in November for this device and expect to have a capacitive screen version available by the end of he year (prototypes already produced and being tested).

I'm not gonna say that our Android tablets are better than the iPad, though they do some things the iPad won't (run multiple apps at once, play Flash videos). I personally use mine on a daily basis for checking the news while I get coffee and have Skype Lite running on it for chatting.

Just to let you know, we see AndroidGold as establishing a process for incorporating customer feedback into China's OEM development community so that our partner factories can continuously improve their Android products over time - even in the two short months we've been at this we've helped dramatically improve the firmware (and even hardware) on our select Android tablets and hope to bring some of the Android phone devices we've been working on to the market soon.

vercetti
10-20-2010, 05:34 PM
The Archos 70 or 101 seem so far ahead of anything else out there.

i'm curious what convinces you that the archos 101 model is better than the notionink!

here's a comparison between the two:

display:
adam has pixelqi, archos only plain tft (if pixelqi is unfamiliar google it, you'll see what great advantage it brings). alone this feature makes the notionink beat any competitor at the time. seriously, read up on pixelqi. adam will also be available with a plain tft though.

cpu:
adam has Dual Core Cortex A9 each running @ 1GHz combined with nVidia's newest Tegra 2 graphics chip, archos only single core ARM Cortex A8 @ 1 GHz. i don't think this has to be commented any further...

internal storage/ram:
adam 16 or 32gb and 1gb ram, archos 8 or 16gb and 1gb ram (i think).

connectivity:
adam bluetooth, wlan, 3g, A-gps. Archos only bluetooth and wifi, no 3g, no gps.

ports:
adam: 2 usb, 1 mini-usb, hdmi (fullhd 1080p), micro-sd, docking port
swivel cam (movable by 180degrees) with 3.1mp , 2 speakers, built in mic, 3.5mm headphone jack, Mic jack.
archos: 1 usb, 1 mini-usb, hdmi (720p), micro-sd, 3.5mm jack, speakers and built in mic, only front facing cam with 0.3mp

battery:
adam: with backlight on about 16hours, with backlight off you can get up to 160hours...
archos: because of standard tft screen you can't turn backlight off so you'll get typical battery life around 10hours.

feature only found in adam:
touchpad on the back of the device

pricing: very similar, adam probably little higher

so seeing the facts i don't think it's very hard to tell which of the 2 products has more to offer and which is one is "far ahead of anything else out there".
and again, i'm not from notionink and i won't be getting the adam either (i'm still waiting for a android tablet that has a 1024x768 screen). i just think it's weird that people don't do a good job at researching products...

greetz,
v.

p.s. regarding the AG2 mentioned above this post: sure it's a great price, no doubt. but with ram only being 256mb and internal storage 2gb (the latter one at least being expandable) and resistive screen (as compared to capacitive) you get what you pay for. still, very nice price and i'd like to see it in action to see smoothness/laggyness and speed during usage (256mb ram)!

Dvalin21
10-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Guys, try this one. Us distributor out of ATL, GA. He is expecting to be able to sell these android tablets next month. They also have a pretty cool windows base tablet. www.dreambeta.com

Also, found a US distributor that sells and write firmware updates for the Zenithink Z180. According to them, through there updates, its fully market compatible. www.zenithink.us

Dave_S
10-24-2010, 03:48 AM
According to them, through there updates, its fully market compatible.

Actually, all they do is describe how to obtain and use a bootleg ID for the Market. The methods they describe are already being used on other Android wanabe tablets, so there is nothing special about this one in that respect.

Graham
10-24-2010, 04:19 AM
i'm curious what convinces you that the archos 101 model is better than the notionink! ...

<snip>

... i just think it's weird that people don't do a good job at researching products...

Probably because the Archos 101 exists and will be in the shops in the next couple of weeks, while the Notion Ink Adam has been promised ever since the beginning of this year, and is always due "in the next couple of months".

If you review the posts on these boards you'll find that the Adam has been discussed in great detail, and much anticipated. However, the interest is waning as more and more time slips by.

Graham

Dvalin21
10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Actually, all they do is describe how to obtain and use a bootleg ID for the Market. The methods they describe are already being used on other Android wanabe tablets, so there is nothing special about this one in that respect.

So your saying I probably should just wait and stick with www.dreambeta.com right?

Graham
10-24-2010, 11:22 AM
So your saying I probably should just wait and stick with www.dreambeta.com right?

It's interesting that they quote the Elite screen size as 1024x600 yet the picture is of a 4x3 device...

http://www.dreambeta.com/sites/default/files/aipad2.jpg

Graham

Dave_S
10-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Not necessarily, just caveat emptor concerning Android tablets that have to bootleg their way into the Market.
An Android 2.1 device needs to meet the follow specifications for valid entry into the Market:
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/source.android.com/en//compatibility/android-2.1-cdd.pdf

Xerxes
10-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Probably because the Archos 101 exists and will be in the shops in the next couple of weeks, while the Notion Ink Adam has been promised ever since the beginning of this year, and is always due "in the next couple of months".

If you review the posts on these boards you'll find that the Adam has been discussed in great detail, and much anticipated. However, the interest is waning as more and more time slips by.

Graham

And the videos of both the 101 and 70 don't look bad. Not having 2.2 on them sucks, but that's promised for November. I would like some indication that 2.3 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

jamesd-ie
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
:2thumbsup Archos 101 16Gb version now available from Archos website:

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?country=ie&lang=en&prod_id=archos101it

in Europe(checked for Ireland,UK & France).

Don't know if its available anywhere else online yet.
The 8GB version still says coming soon.

Edit: Too late they're sold out already

Xerxes
10-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Sucks for me.

murraypaul
10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
It's interesting that they quote the Elite screen size as 1024x600 yet the picture is of a 4x3 device...

http://www.dreambeta.com/sites/default/files/aipad2.jpg

Graham

Well the picture is a really obvious photoshop of an iPad. (on/off, screen lock and volume controls are in the same place, all they have done is make two more copies of the home button)

Dave_S
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Well the picture is a really obvious photoshop of an iPad. (on/off, screen lock and volume controls are in the same place, all they have done is make two more copies of the home button)

It sure looks like an old style Android home screen, and all the recognizable apps are Android apps?????????????????????

Graham
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Exactly. I was suggesting (not particularly clearly!) that it might be a long time before we see this one...

I should have said 'a certain 4x3 device'.

Graham

murraypaul
10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
It sure looks like an old style Android home screen, and all the recognizable apps are Android apps?????????????????????

Then they have pasted an Android screenshot onto an iPad one. It is as fake as a $3 bill.

Seriously, that hardware is an iPad with duplicated home buttons, here is a shot of an iPad to compare:
http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/02/01/ipad_frontal.jpg

Jakie
10-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Graham for answering the question asked of me. (I hadn't signed on for a few days) Your answer is EXACTLY what I think. When the NotionInk adam actualy releases, and if it meets expectations, then I will very much say it is better, but until then, it is samsung vs archos vs augen, etc, for android tablets. Some of the generics may well be fine, but it is a crap shoot. I have a generic, and thankfully, it is exactly what I expected, but it is a base line copy of a gome flytouch.

GreenMonkey
10-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Personally, for the price, I think the Nook color is the most compelling Android tablet to date at $250. It needs marketplace apps to be really good (which it doesn't have by default), but hopefully someone will release a marketplace hack for it.

Xerxes
10-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Man, watching Charbax play with these Archos devices is mouth watering.

Guiltyr1
10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I am still enjoying the Pandigital Novel.

tipstir
10-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Pandigital 800x600 on 7" is the only good feature second would be the WiFi 802.11n as appose to 802.11g in Coby KYROS 7" 800x480 16:9 720p / 1080p HDMI. PDN can only do 360p 600x360p on MP4 if you go higher then video will shutter. Hardware v1 of PDN has some serious issues with video playback. Of course you would need to hunt down Hardware v2. But if you're only using it as a reader then it's fine for that purpose.

tomsem
10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Personally, for the price, I think the Nook color is the most compelling Android tablet to date at $250. It needs marketplace apps to be really good (which it doesn't have by default), but hopefully someone will release a marketplace hack for it.

I would want at least USB host, if not HDMI out and bluetooth, in any Android tablet device. And I'd want to make sure it did full screen video smoothly.

GreenMonkey
10-30-2010, 02:23 AM
I would want at least USB host, if not HDMI out and bluetooth, in any Android tablet device. And I'd want to make sure it did full screen video smoothly.

I want USB, HDMI, 1080p playback, BT, and a few other things. But I'm a lot less picky at $250.

tipstir
10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I want USB, HDMI, 1080p playback, BT, and a few other things. But I'm a lot less picky at $250.

You might want to give the Coby KYROS a try
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1190561

Falcao
10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Probably because the Archos 101 exists...

Oh yeah, the old problem of comparing a real thing with a vaporware thing :rofl:

Graham
11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Apologies for double posting (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1198583&postcount=2), but this thread's long enough that some people might have it subscribed without checking the Android forum regularly.

The Toshiba Folio 100 is now available for 329 from PC World in the UK and looks like a strong contender, with a 1024x600 10" capacitive screen, 16GB, 2 USB ports, an SD slot, and a Tegra 2 processor. Full specs:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-folio-100-tablet-16gb-08173544-pdt.html

Graham

Clemenseken
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi
... just a hint for this thread - you might want to have a look at the dedicated eReader Pocketbook IQ (701) that's still an Android tablet. will be updated from 2.0 to 2.2 end of year.
Got Wifi, no camera or phone, but a G-sensor and 800 by 600 touchscreen.
Shipping starts the next few days, so no reviews yet ...

see: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103403 !

and here's the only video I found so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2fn-MAirjs&fmt=22

soondai
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
the IQ is another variant of the PDN (someone from the company said it has a better processor, though).

It comes with support for PDF and DJVU.

I'm curious to hear from Tipstir and others if they think this machine will read large PDF files (10MB scans of books) or if I am better off waiting a year for more advanced tablets.

PDowns
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
What about the Galaxy Tab thats what I am saving my pennys for and you already have the Galaxy S you could help her with the learning curve, talking about that do you want to help me with my Galxy S....

Tomana
11-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I suggest you check out our Android tablets at AndroidGold.com (http://www.androidgold.com)

We have sorted through hundreds of Android tablets from Chinese OEM manufacturers and identified the best of the lot to feature on our website.

The AG2 is by far the best we've come across and we're selling it for just $199 with a keyboard/case - which helps make up for some deficiency in the resistive touch screen, though recent firmware upgrades have greatly improved it's general utility.
We will provide an Android 2.2 upgrade in November for this device and expect to have a capacitive screen version available by the end of he year (prototypes already produced and being tested).

I'm not gonna say that our Android tablets are better than the iPad, though they do some things the iPad won't (run multiple apps at once, play Flash videos). I personally use mine on a daily basis for checking the news while I get coffee and have Skype Lite running on it for chatting.

Just to let you know, we see AndroidGold as establishing a process for incorporating customer feedback into China's OEM development community so that our partner factories can continuously improve their Android products over time - even in the two short months we've been at this we've helped dramatically improve the firmware (and even hardware) on our select Android tablets and hope to bring some of the Android phone devices we've been working on to the market soon.

Tried that ZT180 and it is nothing more than a sluggish piece of digital photoframe. Definitely, there a lot better android Tablets than this. My friends has an android tablets with A removable battery and GPSand it performs way better thanthe ZT180 . l now read with a win7 Tablet with capacitive screen and it's working very well for me.

Clemenseken
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
@soondai:

the IQ is a variant of the PDN but Pocketbook take their pride in developing very good and user-approved firmware & software.

So once it's out it might be much better than the PDN...
I am very curious and hope to soon get me one!

asjogren
11-08-2010, 03:42 PM
OK. I have the PocketBook IQ on order. I am curious how to BUY applications.

I have installed the Android SDK. I have copied the HTC image that has the Market App. It runs. I can install free apps of the Android Emulator. It looks like I can purchase an App that I want.

But, how can I get from Android Market on an Android 1.6 Emulator to a real Android Tablet running 2.0?

I know I can install .APK files from either the PC using the USB cable, or, by putting the .APK file on an SD card.

But, HOW do I get the .APK file - once I purchase it from the Android Market via the Android Emulator?

It is probably heaps easier to find an illegitimate copy on the darknet!

Polyglot27
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Has anyone tried the Archos 101 Internet Tablet that has just been released? It is supposed to have Android 2.2 on it and a whole lot of other features.

AndroidGold
11-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Tried that ZT180 and it is nothing more than a sluggish piece of digital photoframe. Definitely, there a lot better android Tablets than this. My friends has an android tablets with A removable battery and GPSand it performs way better thanthe ZT180 . l now read with a win7 Tablet with capacitive screen and it's working very well for me.

In all fairness, the ZT-180 was initially released in April 2010 with a lackluster firmware and diminished hardware specs. In October 2010 it received a slight upgrade in screen resolution from 1024x574 to 1024x600 as well as a firmware upgrade on 10/20/2010 which resolved many of the functionality issues with both the resistive touch-screen and also the USB2.0 port.

Now we sell the latest upgrade of this Android tablet for under $200 - and that comes WITH a keyboard/case, and we're expecting to release a firmware upgrade to Android 2.2 within this month.

Furthermore, the ZT-180 is scheduled for several divergent upgrades, including a capacitive screen version which we are currently testing prototype versions of, the addition of a camera and upgraded DDR for the resistive screen version, and soon to come a 7" Android tablet to be sold alongside the current 10" Android tablet.

petermillard
11-12-2010, 02:49 AM
The Toshiba Folio 100 is now available for 329 from PC World in the UK and looks like a strong contender, with a 1024x600 10" capacitive screen, 16GB, 2 USB ports, an SD slot, and a Tegra 2 processor. Full specs:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-folio-100-tablet-16gb-08173544-pdt.html

Graham

Hope it's a mistake, but that link currently shows the price at 999 :eek: At 329 it looks like the most interesting (in the UK) Android tablet yet, at 999 it's a non-starter.

Pete

Graham
11-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Hope it's a mistake, but that link currently shows the price at 999 :eek: At 329 it looks like the most interesting (in the UK) Android tablet yet, at 999 it's a non-starter.

Pete

Hopefully, it's a mistake. That page originally said 329 (and is still showing as such in Google ads). Other commentators also state the 329 figure, though they may have picked that up from the original PC World page too, of course:

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/11/toshiba-folio-100-android-tablet-now-on-sale-in-the-uk-for-329-99/

Graham

jethro10
11-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Any Android tabelt that does not have market support is not worth bothering with.

Why!!!
It's so east to install any APK from a file manager.
It's like saying "If my PC can only download and install executables, then it's not worth bothering with" - but that's all they have ;)

J

Graham
11-15-2010, 03:30 AM

Pete

Here's why they bumped up the price of the Toshiba Folio 100 to 999:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/11/14/toshiba.folio.100.pulled.from.uk.sales.after.bugs/

They wanted to deter sales due to a high rate of returns by unhappy customers.

Graham

Jabby
11-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Don't know which is the best but I ordered a Velocity Micro Cruz. I culled a lot of "tablets" to get to this one and settled on it because it had a 800x600 (4:3 aspect ratio) and you can actually talk to a customer service rep.

Regard - John

tubemonkey
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM

I'm leaning heavily toward the Nook Color. Missing for me are:

standard USB port for uploading USB drive content
Android 2.2 for flash support (promised upgrade early 2011)
additional audio/video codec support
I have absolutely no need for video out or bluetooth.

TallMomof2
11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Take a look at the Pocketbook IQ. It's shipping soon, comes with 2.2 and is not locked down. It's based on the Pandigital hardware but supposedly has better hardware.

jeremy81
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I love my Dell Streak. It's kind of in between a smartphone and a tablet. I used to have an iPad and personally like the Streak better. It's small enough to fit in a pocket or purse and be carried everyday. The screen at 5" in a really great size for an ereader if you want to use it for that. I have a Kindle so I don't often use it as an ereader but it works well for that purpose. You can see it in person by going to Best Buy. Note that it currently has Android 1.6 installed but is receive an update to 2.2 in the next couple of weeks.

robslp
03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I love my Transformer Prime. It now has ICS and is very handy at work with the docked keyboard. It does take a little time getting used to the keyboard and not hitting the mouse with my hand. I also like downloading the good free apps of the day from Amazon.

yegon
03-07-2012, 04:54 AM
If money isn't an issue, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is amongst the very best imo. Had mine for a couple of months now, absolutely brilliant as an ebook reader, browser and hd mkvs on the super amoled plus screen....ooh Baby! Bought mine from the extremely dodgy looking but actually very good and responsive Panamoz.com, the 3g version for 440. Pricey yes, but it's a premium product that matches my iPad 2 in built quality and design.

Currently Honeycomb sadly, but ICS is confirmed.

16gb wifi can be had for 330 now.

Long thread about happy panamoz.com customers on AVforums,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-netbooks-tablets/1570869-galaxy-tab-7-7-users-opinion-26.html