Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
sebastianman
sebastianman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Best method of converting PDFs (maintaining paragraphs)

Hey all,

So far my method has been (on a mac) to use Stanza to convert PDFs to .azw. And then just connect and transfer via USB. But the problem with this method is that all paragraph breaks are lost.

Is there a workflow which allows for maintaining paragraph breaks?
sebastianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, sebastianman

someone should step in soon with suggestions........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Have you tried Calibre?

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I've found that virtually every pdf converter program on the net uses the same open source program pdf2html http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

It uses ghostscript to extract images, and it operates in one of two modes

1) extract all images and dump them inline to file, without preserving tables.
- Text comes out in paragraphs with random line breaks, and looks very ugly, tables are not preserved.

2) extract each page background as a whole image, and create each page as a table.
- All formatting is preserved.
- HTML document looks almost identical to PDF

Method 2 looks good, but won't work for ebooks because of the static background page size (no reflow)

Method 1 is used instead (but no tables are preserved)
This is the same method that Acrobat 9 uses to export HTML 3.0

Now, if your document has limited tables, and your have a simple PDF with a few columns you want to reflow or change, you can use method 2.

Use http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/ without images enabled.
Then convert the HTML to EPUB with tables enabled. You should get yourself a very respectable document, with intact, flowing/reflowing paragraphs that span multiple pages.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have found consistently that the freebie Mobipocket Reader for PC does a far better conversion from PDF than Calibre. You can just drag and drop the PDF (or indeed a DOC or HTML file) into the Mobi reader and it produces a PRC file, which can then be used for a straightforward lossless conversion to MOBI (or indeed any other ebook format) in Calibre.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
The tech journals that I have converted so far are suitable only for casual reading or when you are too tired of a computer screen. If you create your own pdf with proper formatting, it will convert to other formats fine. I have tried that. So, it really depends on how your pdf was initially formatted.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

OH, i made a post about this the other day. Acrobat professional export to HTML works well (or RTF) If you don't have pro, you can do export to TXT on the free reader version and it won't do images. However, images that have text combined with them have cause some slight issues (like graphs will have the axis labels stripped from the images) However, text will flow from columns and be very readable.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...linetools.html

Adobe lets you convert free online, though for me online won't do images. Perhaps if you email it they will send you a document with images, I have not tried.

There are other programs out there, another I have found that does essentially the same thing as adobes is "Easy PDF to HTML converter"
It is probably based upon the same code or something because the output files are nearly identical.

http://www.pdf-to-html-word.com/
note there is a word and html version
get html because ebook programs generally don't like to deal with word, they like html.

There are other programs just like it, with the same gui and back end, that make me think that it's an open source program that someone compiled and sold to make money. I didn't pay for it. I wouldn't pay for it, because I think it's dishonest to sell software you didn't code yourself. And I don't like buying software that does niche things. If you look hard enough you can probably find the "free version" out there, though it is probably command line based.

It may be sourceforge pdf2html, but I am not sure of this.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Mobipocket Creator!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's free.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused

Mobipocket Creator uses pdf2html from sourceforge and does an awful job.