Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
hmoffatt
hmoffatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
non-US account

I've got an amazon.com account associated with my Australian postal address and Australian credit card, and got my Kindle 3 Wifi shipped to Australia (and I'm using an Australian IP of course).

So my country was set to Australia, and a bunch of books were unavailable.

In "Manage your Kindle" on the web site, you can set your country if you're moving. I put in a US address (for an office of my employer), and it accepted it, and I just bought a book that was previously unavailable, paid for with my Australian credit card.

What am I missing? I haven't hacked the kindle.

Last edited by hmoffatt; 10-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.
hmoffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Uri
Uri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98820

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65702

They sometimes block this but not consistently.
Uri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, hmoffatt
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
hmoffatt
hmoffatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uri View Post
good to know, thanks. When they block it, will my existing purchases that weren't available to Australia disappear? Nobody mentions that happening in the other threads so I presume not.

I almost went to the trouble of seperate account + Kindle for PC + unswindle in order to get a few books. That's the backup option I guess for occasional purchases.
hmoffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoffatt View Post
I've got an amazon.com account associated with my Australian postal address and Australian credit card, and got my Kindle 3 Wifi shipped to Australia (and I'm using an Australian IP of course).

So my country was set to Australia, and a bunch of books were unavailable.

In "Manage your Kindle" on the web site, you can set your country if you're moving. I put in a US address (for an office of my employer), and it accepted it, and I just bought a book that was previously unavailable, paid for with my Australian credit card.

What am I missing? I haven't hacked the kindle.
I've done the same thing - there were some books on special offer on the US store and not in the UK store. It let me purchase about five before it suggested I had the wrong region. I then reverted to UK and left it a few days when I changed it again and purchased the rest of the books I wanted!!

ALL purchased books remain in my name as the account was still mine just for an alternate postal address

Hope this helps!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
dasaint
dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Kindle Touch ,Kindle 3 and PRS500
Use VPN . I lived in the US but I move around alot in Asia due to my job.
So I got a US VPN which allows me to download US only content which includes but not limited to Amazon , Hulu ,Google Voice etc.
dasaint is offline   Reply With Quote