Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What would make my Kindle keep crashing?

I have been having some problems this week with my Kindle. Right now it is frozen, and this is the third time this week. Last time it happened, it took two resets to get it working again, and the second reset got it working again but erased all my collections. It took me three hours to restore them (I load everything with Calibre since I don't buy from Amazon) and this drained the battery by two thirds, which I thought was a lot for three hours use. It has been fine since then, but just froze again when I tried to make a highlight.

I was all set to conclude it is broken and order a new one when it occurred to me that all three glitches have been while I was reading the same book. So maybe it is not that my Kindle is broken, but that there is something about that book that the Kindle isn't liking. But what might that be, and how can I tell if this is the issue?

(Fwiw the book is a Kobo purchase that has been, shall we say, liberated, and then coverted to Mobi using Calibre...)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Possibly it's something in the book's character set.

I once exported a text file of my graphic novel collection which contained a particular character (the sideways L-shaped one you get when typing Option-Return on a Mac which normally makes an invisible linebreak in apps where pressing Return moves you to another textbox/indicates end of whatever).

Every time I tried to reload/open that file on the Kindle, it would stop paging at exactly where that character was located, crash if I left it on that file too long, and refuse to open it again once rebooted.

Funnily enough, when I tried exporting it to HTML, it then worked. Although possibly the HTML export process either deleted that character or converted it to something innocuous that the Kindle didn't choke upon.

So maybe that's what's going on with yours.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I had a book on mine which I had problems with and the Kindle kept crashing (I'm sure it was a PDF but this was weeks ago) once I deleted the file from my kindle it resolved the problem. So you might try removing the file and seeing if it still crashes.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have been having some problems this week with my Kindle. Right now it is frozen, and this is the third time this week. Last time it happened, it took two resets to get it working again, and the second reset got it working again but erased all my collections. It took me three hours to restore them
My K3 has crashed approximately once a week, never consistently like while reading the same book. Sometimes it's in an Amazon-purchased book. Sometimes it's a public domain book with no DRM. Once it was while using the web browser. However, this latest crash completely erased all of my collections which hasn't happened before. Now that is extra annoying! After searching the forums, I found a tip to de-register and then re-register to restore your collections. Worked for me and saved me a lot of time! If it happens again, then you might want to try it before recreating them.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have been having some problems this week with my Kindle. Right now it is frozen, and this is the third time this week. Last time it happened, it took two resets to get it working again, and the second reset got it working again but erased all my collections. It took me three hours to restore them (I load everything with Calibre since I don't buy from Amazon) and this drained the battery by two thirds, which I thought was a lot for three hours use. It has been fine since then, but just froze again when I tried to make a highlight.

(Fwiw the book is a Kobo purchase that has been, shall we say, liberated, and then coverted to Mobi using Calibre...)
Could it be that indexing is the problem?
The first week I had my Kindle it was very unstable; freezing up and I kept rebooting it all the time. At the time I thought the subsequent software updates 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 fixed it.

But in hindsight, I think it was the indexing that caused most of the problems. I loaded 2000 books in batches of 2/300 on my Kindle. Indexing those books took a few hours and a lot of battery (didn't show up on the indicator though).

I couldn't read or do any other thing on the Kindle before indexing was completely finished and battery recharged.
So I learned to give the Kindle plenty of time for indexing and recharging after downloading a lot of books. And that worked for me.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-18-2010 at 03:02 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Why not delete everything // do a restore
Put just one book on it and see if it still crashes.
Make sure its not a hardware issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
But in hindsight, I think it was the indexing that caused most of the problems. I loaded 2000 books in batches of 2/300 on my Kindle. Indexing those books took a few hours and a lot of battery (didn't show up on the indicator though).
for me.
How does one go about getting 2k books?
Did you wget project gutenberg or something?

Last edited by curstpriest; 10-22-2010 at 03:51 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle 3 was freezing regularly and it turned out to be the official Amazon cover (without light) that caused it. Phoned them and they admitted they had a bad batch of them, so I got a refund for the case.

So anyone with their case might want to try without it for a while if it keeps freezing...
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Why not delete everything // do a restore
How does one go about getting 2k books?
Did you wget project gutenberg or something?
Probably torrents or usenet. I know of a torrent that has 13000+ ebooks with every book in 9 formats. Just check google

FYI my Kindle has crashed once with a mobi I converted from a html page (japanese Kanji -> english learning website).

If you jailbreak your kindle you might find out what crashes your Kindle by looking at /var/log/ OR do a ~dumpMessages from your HOME (might contain some info).

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-23-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote