Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
WhileStar
WhileStar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Options for using UK kindle in Serbia

Hi everyone, I live in Serbia and recently had a friend in the UK purchase the latest Kindle (v3) for me (via Amazon UK). After i purchasing it I found this forum and quickly realised that I wont be able to purchase any books from the UK with it as it would be registered to my Serbian girlfriend with her CC & Address (its a present for her).

I then emailed the US Amazom and asked them if I could register the UK Kindle on their site with a Serbian address to order books. They sent a reply saying I could not and that the UK kindle could only be used to order books from the UK. I was surprised by this as from what I had read on the forum I assumed this would be possible (along with having to accept Amazons $2 'surcharge')

Is there anyone on this forum using a UK kindle in Europe with an Amazon.Com account registered to a European address? Registering the kindle to an UK/American address/CC isn't really an option either.

Any information about this would be appreciated.

Cheers
WhileStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
I may be wrong, but proxy in UK could do the trick. I'm not aware of
any of that kind public, but also I'm sure your friend has an option to
run one herself. Firewall rule to match your ip address...
Another option is if she could set you session to her node. Depends
on personal taste. Would be interesting to see if solution already sits
in "hacks".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
WhileStar

Using a proxy is not really an option.. she's not much of a computer tekkie and the CC will be registered to her Serbian address so they will see that. I also live in Serbia & my friend will be bringing over the Kindle when he visits.

I'm still hoping the UK Kindle will work on the US Store from here but i'm kinda preparing myself for a disappointment. She will just have to use it to read the PDF files she downloads from other sources or buy books from somewhere else. This whole regional thing really sucks as we can order physical books from either the US or UK store and have them delivered here without any issues.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, whilestar.

There are thousands of free books available here, already formatted for the Kindle and other readers.

You won't find current best sellers, but you'll find wonderful reads by authors who knew how to write.

Click on the link below for more info.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Honestly I don't know.
From what I understand the Kindles sold in the UK have a Vodafone SIM chip rather than an AT&T but coverage on them is supposed to be equal.

That is of course assuming you bought the 3G version and not just WiFi. From what I understand the WiFi models are identical.

I do know of at least one UK user here who has been able to switch back and forth from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com, but I don't know which model of Kindle she is using either.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
WhileStar

Thanks for the advice guys. I have checked out a few links on the site for the free books & she does like classic literature so i'm sure that will keep her occupied. When I get the kindle I will have a play & post my findings on the forum. Hopefully it will help anyone else with similar questions.

I have asked my friend in the UK to de-register the kindle from his UK account and I will try registering it to the Amazon US store with my Serbian address. Then I will try to purchase a supposedly 'free' book off their site for the not so free amount of 2$.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello WhileStar.

I had some similar concerns as yours, because though I live in the UK now, I expect to be moving back to my country, Greece, some time in the future. I emailed Amazon.co.uk about that, wondering if a Kindle I would buy here would go on working when I moved. I got this reply:

Quote:
If you move country and are no longer a UK resident, you will need to update your address at http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle and switch your account to Amazon.com in order to shop in the Kindle Store.
I read this to say that you will have no problem registering the Kindle to amazon.com, nor do I see a reason why you should. Maybe if it is the 3g model there might be some issues, but otherwise, you're (and me, if I get it) probably fine.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I live in Bulgaria and I use Kinlde 2 International 3G bought from UK via eBay - deregistered by the seller and registered by me with my Amazon.com (USA) account - I have bought 3 books from the Kindle store - absolutely no problems. My CC is with Bulgarian address issued by Bulgarian bank (Visa Electron by Central Cooperative Bank). But I have Amazon.com account from 2003 (have bought some real books from US). The 3G coverage here in Bulgaria is fine (provider MTel).

You could register on Amazon.com, register your Kindle and I think that will all you need.

Last edited by enkov; 11-01-2010 at 04:45 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
WhileStar

Well I have had the device for a week now and it functions perfectly well in Serbia. The 3G is a little patchy (comes and goes a bit) but its ok. Downloaded Calibre and tried converting a few PDf files which either turned out with terrible formating or massive MOBI files (500mb+). I think my girlfriend will just have to read her PDF files in landscape mode. I am at a loss to explain why the Amazon.com support people told me the device would not work here.

Thanks for all the advice/help you guy & gals gave me
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Novi Sad
Novi Sad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi WhileStar and everybody else!

I'm also from Serbia and I'd like to buy this new Kindle ebook reader via UK Amazon store. I have a friend from England who can bring it here but I'm worried if it's even possible to download books from Serbia especially the ones for free. Can this Kindle without 3G work here so I can download books by just connecting to my home wireless?

Thanks in advance!
Novi Sad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, a UK-bought Kindle will work just fine in Serbia.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Novi Sad

Thanks Harry!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
WhileStar

Hi Novi Sad, yes the wireless kindle will work fine. When you get it you will have to de-register it from the UK Amazon Store and setup a Amazon.Com account for it. You will notice there are a lot of newer books missing from the Amazon Site when you browse via your Kindle due to international licensing issues. Most of the 'Free' books on the Amazon site will cost you $2 as well. They charge this fee regardless of whether you use wireless or 3G to download them.

I also had some problems connecting my kindle to my girlfriends wireless network (D-Link wireless). I had to downgrade the security to WPA with TKIP. On my WPA2 network at home it connected fine though?

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Novi Sad

Thank you! You helped me a lot!