View Full Version : Auto-shutdown app?

FlorenceArt
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi All,

I don't know a thing about Android, so this may be a silly question... Is there an app somewhere that I could use to program my HTC Tattoo to shut down automatically at night? I really miss that functionality of my old Siemens dumbphone.

joelong
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Check out MusicSleep. It's available in the android market.

FlorenceArt
10-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Check out MusicSleep. It's available in the android market.

Thanks, I will.

FlorenceArt
10-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Had a look at musicsleep (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-geekherd-musicsleep-jjBj.aspx), but the very succinct description I found does not mention shutdown. It just says you can program the music to stop, but since I don't listen to music on my phone I don't need to stop it :p

I found another one on the same site, called CT scheduler (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-connectivetools-ctschedulerl-jiEwF.aspx) that looks more likely, but it says that shutdown requires a rooted phone. What's a rooted phone, is that something like jailbreaking?

Dave_S
10-06-2010, 06:49 AM
What's a rooted phone?

Android runs over a Linux kernel, and the root user in Linux is a system administrator or superuser with a full set of privileges. It is fairly easy to "root" most Android devices with tools to be found on sites like http://forum.xda-developers.com

FlorenceArt
10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Android runs over a Linux kernel, and the root user in Linux is a system administrator or superuser with a full set of privileges. It is fairly easy to "root" most Android devices with tools to be found on sites like http://forum.xda-developers.com

OK, thanks, I'll have a look.

EowynCarter
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
And root on the tatoo can get you unlocked market ;)

bjones6416
10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi All,

I don't know a thing about Android, so this may be a silly question... Is there an app somewhere that I could use to program my HTC Tattoo to shut down automatically at night? I really miss that functionality of my old Siemens dumbphone.

I use the free version of Juice Defender to maximize battery life, but I think with the paid version you have lots of choices about what you want the phone to do, and when. I'm pretty sure that disabling everything at night is one of the choices. If you google it you should be able to find out more info, but I've been very happy with it.

FlorenceArt
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I use the free version of Juice Defender to maximize battery life, but I think with the paid version you have lots of choices about what you want the phone to do, and when. I'm pretty sure that disabling everything at night is one of the choices. If you google it you should be able to find out more info, but I've been very happy with it.

Thanks, this sounds like a useful app, I'll look it up.

Catire
10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
The Tasker (app) might be able to shut down your phone.

Rooting, like jailbreaking, voids your warranty and while its mostly safe you can mess up your phone if you mess with vital system files.

FlorenceArt
10-12-2010, 02:48 AM
The Tasker (app) might be able to shut down your phone.

Rooting, like jailbreaking, voids your warranty and while its mostly safe you can mess up your phone if you mess with vital system files.

Thank you for the info. I'm not sure I am motivated enough to learn and apply how to root my phone. :p I hardly use it anyway. But I'll look up the Tasker. :)

kennyc
10-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I doesn't help you particular situation Florence, but on my DroidX there are "night mode" settings....I've really not used them though....

Sorry for being no help what-so-ever.

:)

FlorenceArt
10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
That's OK Kenny :p

Maybe I have a night mode on my Tattoo, though I haven't found it yet... :chinscratch:

gtriever
10-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Night Mode settings on the Droid X will disable Data Delivery for the specified time, but Voice services aren't interrupted. Being an "old folk", mine is set from 9 pm until 6 am...

kennyc
10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Yeah we geriatric Droid X users gotta stick together. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe we should start a club.

Oh and Welcome aboard MR! :)

FlorenceArt
10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Night Mode settings on the Droid X will disable Data Delivery for the specified time, but Voice services aren't interrupted. Being an "old folk", mine is set from 9 pm until 6 am...

Actually, I disabled data on my tattoo because it drains the battery and I don't use it. Why did I ever bother to buy a smartphone, I don't phone and I don't smart :rolleyes: :o

kennyc
10-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Actually, I disabled data on my tattoo because it drains the battery and I don't use it. Why did I ever bother to buy a smartphone, I don't phone and I don't smart :rolleyes: :o

I humbly disagree with you about the 'smart' part. You seem quite smart to me. :p

I don't phone much either and use the browsing, various apps and email way more than talking or texting.

gtriever
10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
:D

I purchased my first smartphone just to combine my phone, gps, and PDA, so I wouldn't look quite so geeky wearing three devices. Unfortunately, geeky is permanent.

FlorenceArt
10-13-2010, 07:42 AM
I humbly disagree with you about the 'smart' part. You seem quite smart to me. :P

Thank you kindly, dear sir :curtsey:

I don't phone much either and use the browsing, various apps and email way more than talking or texting.

Well I thought I would use them a lot, but it turns out I don't. I'm glad I have that possibility though, the e-mail, web and GPS functionalities can be life-savers, even if I don't use them often.

If I had an iPhone I would use it more often, but I didn't want to pay 200 euros when I already have an iPod Touch, so I keep using my Touch for most of the things the Tattoo could do.

EowynCarter
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
I rooted my tattoo for full market access. Now i'm running a custom rom with android 2.2. Though I lost camera and radio FM is the mess.
But android 2.2 is pretty nice, though I miss sence.

bjones6416
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Actually, I disabled data on my tattoo because it drains the battery and I don't use it.

I keep bluetooth and GPS turned off on mine unless I'm actually using them for the same reason. And the Juice Defender, by default I think, keeps data turned off when the screen is turned off. Since the screen is dark and the phone is in my pocket most of the time my battery life is pretty good now.

I was worried about battery life when I first got it because it seemed to go so FAST. Now that the newness has worn off and I don't feel the need to play with it 24 hours a day things seem to be back to normal. :p