View Full Version : iLiad ipdf with CPU Throttling

yokos
03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU. This saves energy & you get more reading time.
rincewind modded iRex's pdf viewer this way & added some nice features like "remembers pen-settings" or "Hide scribbles". He uploaded the binary in this thread (http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1120) on forum.irexnet.com. Thanks, rincewood! :happy2:

I attached a installation & deinstallation script. :cool:

Oh, Adam B., I hope you get a unbricked iLiad in near future. Therefore I run the script several times, did a reboot, tested the firmware check; I found no problem: so it should be safe for all.

[EDIT]: I updated ipdf binary and changed readme.txt a bit in zip file [rincewind's Mar 23, 2007 version, md5: a6a2650badb6007a34158b064293c6d3 changes: stripped binary, not working easter egg removed.]
[EDIT II]: fake FAQ: Ok, some new ipdf binary was released. I have installed a older ipdf with the script. Do I have to deinstall ipdf with the older script before I can install the new ipdf binary? No! Just remove the old script on MMC/CF, copy the new script to it & execute the script.

henkvdg
03-23-2007, 02:24 PM
State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU. This saves energy & you get more reading time.
rincewind modded iRex's pdf viewer this way & added some nice features like "remembers pen-settings" or "Hide scribbles". He uploaded the binary in this thread (http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1120) on forum.irexnet.com. Thanks, rincewood! :happy2:

I attached a installation & deinstallation script. :cool:

Oh, Adam B., I hope you get a unbricked iLiad in near future. Therefore I run the script several times, did a reboot, tested the firmware check; I found no problem: so it should be safe for all.

If I understand well, Throttle_ipdf = 1232 KB, Irex_ipdf = 76 KB !
Why is that? Are a lot of libraries replaced? Or is it Rincewind's mods?

Nice work, anyway!
Could someone add search and use of a look-up dictionary. Would make me very glad!

Adam B.
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Nice work, anyway!
Could someone add search and use of a look-up dictionary. Would make me very glad!

My best guess is that the cpu-throttled ipdf wasn't created with the zlib compression libraries. Or maybe there were other libraries or functions that were included with the program enhancements. I haven't tested it, so I do not know.

I have no idea what's involved in searching, so I can't answer that. I think it's on iRex's planned feature list though. As far as a dictionary search, it shouldn't be *too* difficult to program a button that will launch stardict from ipdf. It should run on top of it, so when you close out of the dictionary, your document will be there.

Alexander Turcic
03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Perhaps he forgot to strip the debug information from the binary?

henkvdg
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
My best guess is that the cpu-throttled ipdf wasn't created with the zlib compression libraries. Or maybe there were other libraries or functions that were included with the program enhancements. I haven't tested it, so I do not know.

I have no idea what's involved in searching, so I can't answer that. I think it's on iRex's planned feature list though. As far as a dictionary search, it shouldn't be *too* difficult to program a button that will launch stardict from ipdf. It should run on top of it, so when you close out of the dictionary, your document will be there.

Yes, but I can imagine that the library defined appears as a pop-up box when you select a word with the pen and click the library icon in the tool bar, but your solution is OK too.

Searching is available in many PDF viewers. It is nothing special, I think. Just pattern recognition in the PDF file, with a little sophistication. Irex promised it long ago. Why it was not there from the start, I do not understand. Probably not in the source of the software that was chosen.

It is a problem on the iLiad to switch applications. The user interface is very primitive (or simple). As far as I know, you leave the application and return to the contentlister and you choose another application. If you use buttons in a program, you could go to the contentlister without leaving the application, like a MP3 player and it goes on in the background, if we could swith applications fast (and have them running together) we could switch between documents or between documents and notes or diary or webbrowsing, e-mail, or ....

There could be a toggle icon in the tool bar, subsequently switching through the running user applications (or their respective screen-image-memory pages, and attached controls!).
It will take some amount of memory to have a number of applications active simultaniously and, if they are actually running, like the MP3 player, also some processor sharing.

The iLiad is not really meant for too much of that, but a little bit of it would be nice.

jayk
03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Perhaps he forgot to strip the debug information from the binary?

Yup.

>file ipdf
ipdf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I don't have my dev tools installed in a usable form at the moment, but I'm quite sure that it would be significantly smaller once stripped.

JayK

jayk
03-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Attached is the same zip, with the throttle ipdf stripped of all it's debugging info. As you can see, it's significantly smaller. Nothing is changed except the ipdf binary is stripped.

JayK

yokos
03-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Attached is the same zip, with the throttle ipdf stripped of all it's debugging info. As you can see, it's significantly smaller. Nothing is changed except the ipdf binary is stripped.

Thanks, jayk.
Now rincewind strips the binary, too. I updated the zip-file in 1st post [changed binary to rincewind's lastest version, added in readme "You need Shell Access Package" etc.]

k2r
03-24-2007, 02:17 PM
State-of-the-art is using programs which throttle CPU.<nitpick>Throttling means skipping CPU cycles. AFAIK the modified iPDF does use frequency scaling instead. Throttling - if possible - might be a way to save even (a little) more energy on the lowest CPU frequency.</nitpick>

yokos
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
<nitpick>Throttling means skipping CPU cycles. AFAIK the modified iPDF does use frequency scaling instead. Throttling - if possible - might be a way to save even (a little) more energy on the lowest CPU frequency.</nitpick>
Thanks for the lesson, k2r. :scholar: I used the word rincewind has utilised, dummies can only copy & past.
Yamp! I learned a new English word: nitpick. :happy2:
I like the feature "hide scribbles with dot button", I use it all the time.

k2r
03-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the lesson, k2r
D'oh, actually I'm not the most competent person to teach people about hardware design/powersaving issues. However, cpu-throttling - if possible in hardware and kernel - might even give us an additional way to save (a little more) power, one day.I like the feature "hide scribbles with dot button", I use it all the time.Yes, it's very useful to me, too. As is the "delete-all-scribbles" trick.

Mambo
03-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Scribbling does not work well in landscape mode.
Scribble something move to the next page and come back. It will not be visible, although it is visible in portrait mode.

narve
04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I just confirmed a hunch I had: After reading a book with the excellent power-saving ipdf viewer, the frequency is stuck at 99000. This makes everything a bit slower (but also adds to battery life). Would it be better if the ipdf viewer reset the frequency to max (or to the original value)? Or perhaps make it configurable?

Of course, we could have a separate script "reset cpu freq to max" but that is a bit cumbersome...

realityloop
04-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Is anyone working on this for 2.9.5?
*fingers crossed*

narve
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that would be nice... I loved the battery savings!

scotty1024
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Of course, we could have a separate script "reset cpu freq to max" but that is a bit cumbersome...

I'd publish the Matchbox applet that lets you select your CPU frequency off the toolbar but bricks bricks bricks iRex has provided no Average Joe means of installing applets.

You'd think that if they were giving up on auto power management, which is pretty clear, they'd at least give us this standard applet to let us control the power right?

Adam B.
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd publish the Matchbox applet that lets you select your CPU frequency off the toolbar but bricks bricks bricks iRex has provided no Average Joe means of installing applets.

Or, like your clock applet, you could release it now and let users who want to take the risk add it...

scotty1024
05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
That isn't my clock applet, its the stock standard Matchbox Clock Applet.

I thought they would have released the re-flash tool by now.

They haven't explained just how effective this re-flash tool is. What kinds of bricks can it handle?

scotty1024
05-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Sometimes I really hate it when I'm right. :(

And it hurts twice as deeply because it was yokos, and he was trying to make an installer for such a dangerous thing to make it safe for others. :( :( :(

So double double double no, no other applets.

yokos
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM
There is a new ipdf out. This time rincewind added "Quick Erase patch" [pausing stylus on screen erases last written; there is a avi video, which explains it much better.]
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1241

OT: iLiad has got /usr/bin/md5sum, which I tested to check checksum of installed ipdf or back-up file, & then scripts does the correct decision. Right now I feel a bit trapped. :rolleyes5

bedwere
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Thank you, Yokos. Could a kind soul provide an installation script for the timid? :)

mtas
05-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Thank you, Yokos. Could a kind soul provide an installation script for the timid? :)Here you go, this one will move /usr/bin/ipdf to /usr/bin/ipdf.org before installation of the new version. After uninstallation of the new version the original will be moved from /usr/bin/ipdf.org to /usr/bin/ipdf.

bedwere
05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Here you go, this one will move /usr/bin/ipdf to /usr/bin/ipdf.org before installation of the new version. After uninstallation of the new version the original will be moved from /usr/bin/ipdf.org to /usr/bin/ipdf.
Thanks, but didn't you forget something? ;)

mtas
05-07-2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks, but didn't you forget something? ;)I did indeed :blush: . Here's a new try.

templario
05-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry if it is a stupid question, what else do i need apart from the script ipdf-psave 1.0.1.zip to try the saving power ipdf?

mtas
05-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Sorry if it is a stupid question, what else do i need apart from the script ipdf-psave 1.0.1.zip to try the saving power ipdf?You'll have to have the shell access from iRex. After that, unzip the file, copy the file ipdf-psave 1.0.1.sh to your iLiad (either to a memory card or to the internal memory) select the file with the content lister and original ipdf version will be replaced with the power saving one.

realityloop
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
You'll have to have the shell access from iRex. After that, unzip the file, copy the file ipdf-psave 1.0.1.sh to your iLiad (either to a memory card or to the internal memory) select the file with the content lister and original ipdf version will be replaced with the power saving one.

Does this include revert option like a previous patched ipdf did?

Cloud
05-07-2007, 09:33 AM
You'll have to have the shell access from iRex. After that, unzip the file, copy the file ipdf-psave 1.0.1.sh to your iLiad (either to a memory card or to the internal memory) select the file with the content lister and original ipdf version will be replaced with the power saving one.

I have run your script in the news folder of the internal memory.
After that, I cannot open any pdf files.:dead:
My iLiad's OS is v2.9.5.
Help me, please...

Adam B.
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Try the attached file. It's the one from the first page of this thread, but with the version changed to 2.9.5. I don't believe there were any ipdf changes from then to now.

henkvdg
05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Try the attached file. It's the one from the first page of this thread, but with the version changed to 2.9.5. I don't believe there were any ipdf changes from then to now.

I think Rincewind changed it since then.

See this thread and the iRex Forum.

Cloud
05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
My problem turned out to be due to my fault.
I'm very sorry, mtas.

After I tried Adam's script, I checked my installed ipdf's size.
It was about 74kb. (The copied ipdf should be 80.9kb.)
Because I think my iLiad's disk may be full,
I tried deleting the Chinese font file(mshei.ttf) and ran Adam's script.
Now all OK. I can read pdf files :happy2:

My iLiad's temporary free disk space is:
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/tffsa1 73045 71190 1855 97% /
/dev/tffsa5 28065 2 28063 0% /mnt/protected
/dev/tffsa6 131180 110244 20936 84% /mnt/free
/dev/tffsa7 581 46 535 8% /mnt/settings
/dev/hda1 2026104 137364 1888740 7% /media/cf

And the deleted mshei.ttf is 1858kb. Is iLiad's free disk space such severe?
Or isn't my iLiad normal?
(Recently I installed some Japanese fonts to CF.
I may take some mistakes during it.)

Adam B.
05-07-2007, 05:36 PM
And the deleted mshei.ttf is 1858kb. Is iLiad's free disk space such severe?
Or isn't my iLiad normal?
(Recently I installed some Japanese fonts to CF.
I may take some mistakes during it.)

My iLiad has almost 5MB free on the root drive. You may want to put the fonts on your memory card because of the extra storage they are using.

I have a sort-of tutorial here: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1168

root@ereader:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/tffsa1 71.3M 66.6M 4.7M 93% /
/dev/tffsa5 27.4M 2.0k 27.4M 0% /mnt/protected
/dev/tffsa6 128.1M 109.0M 19.1M 85% /mnt/free
/dev/tffsa7 581.0k 62.0k 519.0k 11% /mnt/settings
/dev/hda1 3.9G 501.9M 3.4G 13% /media/cf

realityloop
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
The attached version is an update of the version Adam B. posted yesterday, it includes Rincewinds ipdf with quick erase and power saving patch described here:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1241

rincewind
05-08-2007, 02:58 AM
There is a new ipdf out. This time rincewind added "Quick Erase patch" [pausing stylus on screen erases last written; there is a avi video, which explains it much better.]

It actually turns the last stroke into an "erase" stroke, meaning that it will (largely) erase any scribbles the stroke passed through. I also find the manual refresh (press and hold arrow up) useful when there is a lot of ghosting (say when starting on a fresh sudoku). Excellent work with the installer and all - fun to see people using the patch. :-)

I see in another post that the CPU speed is stuck at 100mhz after exiting ipdf. I've fixed it and updated the binary and pdf (the ipdf2.9.1-rincewind.patch). I believe that if you exit (the old IPDF) with the top most button (the ladder-arrow thingy), it will exit at 400mhz - just until you get upgraded. :-)

/R

realityloop
05-08-2007, 04:56 AM
What was the date of the update to the binary? I only grabbed it last night (about 18 hours ago) from the url I linked to at iRex forum, so hopefully its the fixed version already..

It actually turns the last stroke into an "erase" stroke, meaning that it will (largely) erase any scribbles the stroke passed through. I also find the manual refresh (press and hold arrow up) useful when there is a lot of ghosting (say when starting on a fresh sudoku). Excellent work with the installer and all - fun to see people using the patch. :-)

I see in another post that the CPU speed is stuck at 100mhz after exiting ipdf. I've fixed it and updated the binary and pdf (the ipdf2.9.1-rincewind.patch). I believe that if you exit (the old IPDF) with the top most button (the ladder-arrow thingy), it will exit at 400mhz - just until you get upgraded. :-)

/R

rincewind
05-09-2007, 05:01 AM
What was the date of the update to the binary? I only grabbed it last night (about 18 hours ago) from the url I linked to at iRex forum, so hopefully its the fixed version already..

Modified: Tue 08 May 2007 07:42:55 AM CEST. MD5 of the last is 9d760418337137b0d85a697bbc4dca8a. To test if you have the latest one, open a pdf, press "News" or one of those buttons. If your iLiad is dog slow (ok, dogger slower :-)), you don't have the latest version.

I'll make a small ipdf.html page with dates and versions later...
/R

realityloop
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Updated with correct ipdf version as per quote below.

Modified: Tue 08 May 2007 07:42:55 AM CEST. MD5 of the last is 9d760418337137b0d85a697bbc4dca8a. To test if you have the latest one, open a pdf, press "News" or one of those buttons. If your iLiad is dog slow (ok, dogger slower :-)), you don't have the latest version.

I'll make a small ipdf.html page with dates and versions later...
/R

dedo
05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Just compiled ipdf (from svn) + rincewind patches using fresh new official SDK (http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=6329#6329) and it works fine.

Cloud
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
My iLiad has almost 5MB free on the root drive. You may want to put the fonts on your memory card because of the extra storage they are using.

I have a sort-of tutorial here: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1168

Thank you very much for your info and advise.

I'm anxious about my too little free space. :blink:
But because I moved some fonts to my SD successfully,
I can enjoy the nice ipdf without any trouble, I believe.
Thank you all!

bedwere
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
May we get an installation script with the new and improved version of ipdf? ipdf Fullscreen Patch (http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308)
Thanks!

:)

bedwere
05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I decided to give it a try on my own and modified an existing installation script to use the latest version of ipdf. It seems to have worked! I don't think that is enough to be called an iLiad developer, but there you have it.
:scholar:

narve
05-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I decided to give it a try on my own and modified an existing installation script to use the latest version of ipdf. It seems to have worked! I don't think that is enough to be called an iLiad developer, but there you have it.
Well done. I'd say you qualify :)

dedo
05-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I made a little 2 pages (formatted for iLiad) manual for Enhanced iPDF using jharker instructions, I attached it to this post.

rincewind
05-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Sweet! It's wonderful to see the community kick in. :-)

/R

johnsidi
05-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Thank you Bedwere! :) :)

henkvdg
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Very well done. I enjoyed it very much.

Now I have the new firmware, but maybe I had better waited.
I guess the install doesnot work anymore.

If we know what iRex changed to the viewer, there could be a new installer with a new(?) ipdf.

yokos
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I guess the install doesnot work anymore.
Yepp, & this cheching firmware before installing is a useful thing, because jharker's last ipdf-0.29-RJenhanced-070523 with md5 e6d7c1a090aa07a7c74457d9a99672b3 is not compatible with 2.10. I have checked it, pdf viewer starts but you can't switch page or toggle on toolbar.
[EDIT:] patched ipdf written for 2.9.5 freezes iLiad. -> reset & reboot is needed. Please wait for a new patched ipdf.

realityloop
06-09-2007, 03:47 AM
I was wondering if there was anything that can be done about zooming, I find it really hard to accurately zoom for non toolbar mode.

The main issue seems to be that you need to enable the toolbar to set the zoom area, and when you zoom it's adding blank space to account for the toolbar being enabled, so when you disable the toolbar there's a blank section.

It'd be great if when you turned off the toolbar it redrew the area that was visible with the toolbar enabled as taking up whole screen.

Is this possible?

Am I the only one having this issue?

Mambo
06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Full screen mode is freaking cool.

Jharker has updated the ipdf for 2.10, but I couldn't find an easy installer that does the update in a user-friendly way, so I was forced to create one based on the hard work of others before me.

I managed to do it so I thought I will share with others who need one.
SORRY if it already exists, I could not find it.

WARNING: I am not a linux expert and I am just a user. I don't take responsibility if you get unexpected results using this. I have tested the installer and it works on my iLiad back and forward.

templario
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mambo, i wanted to do this as well. Just a question out of curiosity, where did you get the ipdf_irex (the binary ipdf) that is in the folder ipdf_powersave_for_2.10.zip.

Jose

Mambo
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
From the /usr/bin folder of my iLiad. It's the iRex's latest binary.

henkvdg
06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
It does not work correctly anymore on my iLiad with the throttling ipdf.

rincewind
06-17-2007, 07:42 AM
It does not work correctly anymore on my iLiad with the throttling ipdf.

Works fine here, but be sure that you have the 2.10 version, the old one was broken after the last update.

/r

danielday
06-17-2007, 12:13 PM
This version of ipdf is fabulous! Thanks to all the developers who contributed.
I wonder if samzeitlin's suggestion for zooming is feasible:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1199&highlight=

A caution, the quadrants should have some overlap so that lines aren't chopped and you can mentally 'connect' segments of diagrams.

Cheers,
DD

henkvdg
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Works fine here, but be sure that you have the 2.10 version, the old one was broken after the last update.

/r

I am sure it did not work properly just after I installed it. But now it does. I am happy!

deadite66
08-18-2007, 07:30 AM
is their an install script for 2.10.2?

tribble
08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
here you go: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=80939&postcount=25

deadite66
08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
cheers o/

Snas
08-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Has somebody already tried to open an interactive PDF document with iPDF ?

yokos
08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Has somebody already tried to open an interactive PDF document with iPDF ?
What is an interactive pdf? Internal hyperlinks are working, ipdf has got no java script or so.

Blue
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
*supid comment - don't pay attention to Blue, just ignore him ;)*

swamp
08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Does anyone have ipdf_powersave_for_2.12.1 or 2.12? It will be great.