View Full Version : iLiad Bricked My Iliad

Adam B.
03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
:( :uhoh2: :(

So I did it....I managed to brick my iLiad with the shell script I wrote for managing MP3's. Now, it'll just stop at the last bar of the loading screen. It's odd, because it didn't touch the root file system, only the /mnt/card directory... I guess I'll have to call customer support and go through that ordeal. :(

I don't know how I'm going to be without it for a few weeks (months?)

TadW
03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know how I'm going to be without it for a few weeks (months?)
Adam, are you kidding? The real question is how are we going to be without you?????????????

This is a drama. What can we do?

Adam B.
03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Money isn't the problem, I can pay to have it reflashed (although, it sucks). My biggest concern is with iRex's turnaround time. Unless you can speed them up, I don't think there's anything you can do. :(

Alexander Turcic
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Adam, I am sorry to hear ;(

Did you know that iRex has recently started to offer what they call "sample-quality" units? Perhaps they can send you one while yours is being reflashed? From Matthijs:

We have some 'sample-quality' units that we would like to loan to a selected group of developers so they don't need to use their own iLiad for potentially dangerous (although its not that dangerous anymore) development. Some kind of agreement on what you're planning to improve would be needed for this though...

If you're really serious; contact me via PM.

Adam B.
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I did see that. I've made a post on the iRex forum about what happened. Maybe they will offer...

jayk
03-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Adam,

Replied on the IRex forum - did your script produce anything on your mmc? Have you tried booting without any cards in the device?

JayK

Alexander Turcic
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Adam,

I don't see anything inherently dangerous in your script; but is it possible that mpc did something unexpected which could have led to you bricking your device? Specifically, what about these commands:

/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc clear
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc update
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc listall | mpc add -
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc playlist > playlist.txt

#!/bin/sh
##MPD Playlist Script for ContentLister
killall mpd
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpd mpd.conf
cd /mnt/card/Music/Playlist/
rm -rf *
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc clear
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc update
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc listall | mpc add -
/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc playlist > playlist.txt
int=1
file=playlist.txt
while read i
do

mkdir /mnt/card/Music/Playlist/$int
cd /mnt/card/Music/Playlist/$int
touch manifest.xml
echo "<xml>\n<package>\n <metadata>\n <dc>\n <Title>$i</Title>\n <Description></Description>\n <Date>2006-11-16T08:28:46</Date>\n <Identifier>\n <Language>\n <Type>\n </dc>\n <y>\n <startpage>run.sh</startpage>\n <version>000</version>\n </y>\n </metadata>\n</package>\n" >> manifest.xml
touch run.sh
echo "/mnt/card/mpd/bin/mpc play $int" >> run.sh
chmod a+x run.sh
int=`expr $int + 1`
done < "$file"

Adam B.
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
It wasn't mpc. It was my script. The playlist directory wasn't there, so it stayed in the working directory and deleted everything.

NatCh
03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Ouch, that massively stinks.

I guess you can't just replace the files in the working directory to fix it, then. :sad:

Antartica
03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
So I did it....I managed to brick my iLiad with the shell script I wrote for managing MP3's. Now, it'll just stop at the last bar of the loading screen. It's odd, because it didn't touch the root file system, only the /mnt/card directory... I guess I'll have to call customer support and go through that ordeal. :(

Ouch! Those are horrible news!

The only thing I can think of is that something got written to /root and filled the root filesystem...

Certainly, the reflash utility is severely needed :-/.

Good luck with the Customer support. Hope you get your iliad back soon.

Alexander Turcic
03-22-2007, 05:23 AM
It wasn't mpc. It was my script. The playlist directory wasn't there, so it stayed in the working directory and deleted everything.
I c. OUCH.

b_k
03-22-2007, 05:52 AM
ow.
Btw, doesn't the shell used on the iLiad (it's busybox ash, right?) have something like a 'if ... else-if ... end-if' construct? I think you could check the return code of the 'cd' before doing any more 'rm -rf's.
But I think you have already figured that out.

And I know why I don't make any experiments with my iLiad atm. I'm happy it's running at the moment and I don't plan on sending it back to iRex more often than necessary. (one time was enough)

Adam B.
03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
ow.
Btw, doesn't the shell used on the iLiad (it's busybox ash, right?) have something like a 'if ... else-if ... end-if' construct? I think you could check the return code of the 'cd' before doing any more 'rm -rf's.
But I think you have already figured that out.

And I know why I don't make any experiments with my iLiad atm. I'm happy it's running at the moment and I don't plan on sending it back to iRex more often than necessary. (one time was enough)

It does. I know what I did wrong, so I'll be able to prevent it in the future.

I can't help it, it's in my nature to tinker, and try to get everything I can out of every device I have. Especially when it's currently lacking as many things as the iLiad...

nekokami
03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Argh! Hopefully iRex will rush a sample unit to you and also give you quick (and, I would hope, free) turnaround on the flash.

Adam B.
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
As I mentioned on the iRex forum, I don't expect them to eat the cost of the reflash. It was my mistake, and I take responsibility for it. And as nice as a sample quality unit would be, I think they're looking for more serious, business oriented developers to give those to... I'm just a geek with a toolchain. ;)

yvanleterrible
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Forgive a newbie but does Irex have plans for a north American implantation?

NatCh
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
They have a North America office listed, but it's labeled as Commercial: http://www.irextechnologies.com/about/contact

I guess there's not much point in calling them for tech support issues. :sad:

yvanleterrible
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I was figuring they might open a repair facility.

NatCh
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't that be nice?

Adam B.
03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Sure would be. I got an email back from support. The shipping box is on it's way to me...

nekokami
03-22-2007, 11:28 AM
You're a geek keeping the rest of us geeks happy. :) You can pay shipping if you want, but I still think they should reflash your unit for free.

Riocaz
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
As I mentioned on the iRex forum, I don't expect them to eat the cost of the reflash. It was my mistake, and I take responsibility for it. And as nice as a sample quality unit would be, I think they're looking for more serious, business oriented developers to give those to... I'm just a geek with a toolchain. ;)

Who in a few weeks has accomplished more useful things than their entire development team.

Adam B.
03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Who in a few weeks has accomplished more useful things than their entire development team.

They have their priorities and goals, I have mine. Besides, I haven't released anything yet that would be considered "Production Ready". That's where the really hard work comes in.

I'm kinda dissapointed that I wasn't able to get the MP3 script working before this happened. It was going to be really cool...

Riocaz
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I know they do I was being flippant.

Mythago
03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Sure would be. I got an email back from support. The shipping box is on it's way to me...

Really bad news about the bricking. I think I remember another post of yours that said you've got SSH running on your iLiad, so I assume the problem has turfed that as a possible way in?

I'm surprised they still send a shipping box. When my iLiad arrived with a broken screen I contacted tech support etc. and waited twelve days for the return shipping box to arrive. I was surprised to see that it's just the inside box packaging for the iLiad. I already had one of those so what's the point of sending the box with a couple of sheets of paper that could be emailed? :dizzy:

If you've still got your original box then maybe iRex tech support could email the customs declaration forms to you and give you their UPS account number for the return shipment. Then you could save some days and get your iLiad back sooner.

-Mythago

yvanleterrible
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
That's basically red tape. They have to authorize a return 'physically'.

Adam B.
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
:happy2: :happy2: I just got my iLiad back today!

I don't think I've ever been this happy to see a piece of technology. ;)

Alexander Turcic
04-05-2007, 07:32 PM
:happy2: :happy2: I just got my iLiad back today!

I don't think I've ever been this happy to see a piece of technology. ;)
Time for a moment of Oooooooooooooooooom (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6902) ;)

vranghel
04-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Great news Adam! Im sure you iLiad missed you as much as you did it. :)

pdam
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
... but is it just infactuation or is it love? :-)

jayk
04-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey Adam B.

A thought occurred to me... One of the things I occasionally do on freebsd/linux machines I've set up where people aside from me will have root access... If you put a file called -i in the really important directories - like / and /etc and /boot for example, it will force rm to prompt even if the -f flag was provided, because the shell interprets the rm -rf * as: rm -rf -i restoffiles

You can accomplish it easily by:

touch -- /-i /etc/-i

should make it much harder to accidentally erase everything with an errant rm -rf - it won't stop everything - but it adds a little safety.

JayK

nekokami
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Good tip! I'd recommend that iRex add this to the iLiad by default. (And I'm going to put it on the Ubuntu server at work tomorrow.)